Region 5 - Alliance Annual Report - December 28, 2009
ANNUAL REGIONAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Chippewa Valley Technical College (CVTC)
Eau Claire, WI
December 28, 2009
- Alliance Background
October 4, 2006
November 16, 2009
The purpose of the alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to support workplace safety and reduce hazards and associated losses. This Alliance targets staff, students, outside employers, and members of our community with information, guidance, and access to training and related resources that will help promote and improve employee health and safety.
Implementation Team Members:
- Mary Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist
- Steven Senor, CVTC, Occupational Safety and Health Instructor
- Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were held with Team Members:
- November 9, 2008 to November 16, 2009
- CVTC instructional staff tailored a two hour Fall Rescue course for a large general contractor that utilizes fall arrest systems and need an emergency self rescue method for tower crane operators. OSHA CAS participated in the training. OSHA has a Partnership with this general contractor.
- OSHA presented at CVTC sponsored training sessions such as OSHA 10 and 30 hour courses, Youth Academy and the Line Workers Seminar.
- OSHA presented for regularly scheduled CVTC courses:
- Supervisor Risk Management Course
- Woodtechnics in River Falls
- CVTC and OSHA coordinate and participate in local organizations and groups.
- Dunn County LEP (Local Emergency Planning)
- American Red Cross
- Western Wisconsin Safety Council
- Chippewa Valley Home Builders Association (CVHBA)
- OSHA used CVTC’s facility for unique outreach opportunities at no cost.
- OSHA personnel received an excellent training opportunity at no cost.
- OSHA participated in the CVTC sponsored courses such as OSHA 10 and 30 hour courses without managing the logistics.
- OSHA and CVTC have developed a broader network for future projects.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained OSHA: Wind Farm Presentation - Line Workers 65 OSHA attended Electrical Underground Seminar 120 OSHA presented at CVTC/Heartland Electrical 25 CVTC: 2 -OSHA 30 and Distribution of Standards 18 CVTC: Health Training for Dental Professionals 24 CVTC: 4 -OSHA 10 for Gen Industry. OSHA presenter 42 CVTC: 3 -OSHA 10 for Construction. OSHA presenter 55 CVTC: 3 MSHA Refresher – OSHA attended one 84 OSHA 10 Hr – Intro to OSHA Presentation 33 OSHA 30 Hr – OSHA Presented "Intro to OSHA" 40 CVTC Trainer recertified for OSHA 10 Hr 1 OSHA presented at CVTC Supervisory Mgmt Course 25 CVTC Fall Rescue Hand on Training for Contractor 15 CVTC safety presentation & OSHA docs NWMOC conf 5 Manufacturing Academy – OSHA Presented "Youth Safety" and "Intro to OSHA" ARRA Stimulus Money 23 Residential Construction–Youth Constr Presentation 25 OSHA Recordkeeping: ½ seminar 18 TOTAL 618
- Upcoming Milestones
- As a result of the "Fall Rescue" training, a more formal and expanded training sessions are planned. An article on "Suspension Trauma" was written for the Wisconsin Construction Newsletter to get more interest in this subject.
- OSHA will work more closely with the CVTC staff members to implement safe work practices into the curriculum for areas such as residential construction and health care services. An emphasis is being placed on certified lead workers in anticipation of the Lead Certification standard to go into effect in April, 2010.
- CVTC will provide OSHA assistance in Powered Industrial Vehicle / Dock Safety through the driving school.
Mary M. Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA.