Reg 5 - Alliance Annual Report - September 1, 2017
Annual Alliance Report
Date Signed: August 28, 2013
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Indiana and Ohio with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
Vanessa Martin - OSHA
Melissa Linton - OSHA
Luz Estela Alvarez - Protection to Mexicanos
Implementation Team Meetings
Planning meetings were held on October 5, 2016, March 1, 2017, June 21, 2017 and September 5, 2017. These meetings were held in order to coordinate outreach events throughout the year.
Events and Products
Evaluation Period: October 2016 – September 2017
Training and Education:
- The Indianapolis Area Office conducted four training sessions at the Consulate as well sharing five email blasts of pertinent safety information.
- The Columbus Area Office, in conjunction with Wage and Hour, manned an informational booth during a consulate, mobile event at the Columbus Health Department.
- The Indianapolis Area Office provided Spanish, OSHA publications throughout the year, to clients awaiting services at the Consulate.
Outreach and Communication:
- During Labor Rights Week, OSHA personnel presented information about Worker Rights under OSHA, handed out publication and answered questions for clients at the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis on October 15, 2016. The worker rights week was well attended and received by Spanish speaking workers from Ohio.
- In Ohio, OSHA staff attended a mobile consulate event during this alliance period. The two events were held on October 15, 2016 at the Columbus Health Department. There was an OSHA informational booth and worker rights information was handed out to about 200 people.
- During the week of August 28, 2017, Indianapolis staff affected 350 individuals while presenting to clients of the Mexican Consulate and handing out employee rights information (English and Spanish) to members of the general public.
Promotion of National Dialogue:
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about worker rights under OSHA.
- The Alliance helped establish a continuous, cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis.
Alliance Products: Same as above.
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Labor Rights Week (booth) 350 National Fall Stand Down Training 50 Worker Rights 38 Publications 620 Indiana Latino Expo 225 Speeches at Consulate 115 Mobile Consulate (Ohio) 250 Email Blast of Safety Information 180 TOTAL 1828
- No activities have been confirmed at this time.
Prepared by: Vanessa L. Martin, Indianapolis Area Director