Region 5 - Alliance Annual Report - August 21, 2017
ANNUAL REGIONAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (WITC)
Shell Lake, WI
August 21, 2017
- Alliance Background
- November 3, 2009
- November 28, 2012
- August 3, 2016
The purpose of the alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to support workplace safety and reduce hazards and associated losses. This Alliance targets staff, students, outside employers, and members of our community with information, guidance, and access to training and related resources that will help promote and improve employee health and safety.
Implementation Team Members
- Mary Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist
- Mary Hansen – WITC Human Resource Specialist, Safety and Security (Recently Retired)
- Cher Vink – WITC Associate VP, HR & Employee Relations
- Steve Decker – WITC Associate VP, Financial & Business Services/CFO
- Todd Larson – WITC Safety Training Specialist
- Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were held with Team Members
- August 3, 2016
- August 10, 2016
- September 29, 2016
- March 29, 2017
- August 16, 2017
Numerous phone calls and emails were exchanged to coordinate events and discuss future projects.
- August 3, 2016 to August 31, 2017
- The 5 year renewal was signed on August 3, 2016 with press releases issued by OSHA and WITC.
- OSHA assisted in an OSHA 10 and 30 classes.
- OSHA CAS assisted Safety Training Specialist with interpretations of the OSHA standards.
- OSHA CAS attended the WITC Safety and Security committee meeting.
- OSHA CAS promoted the Fall Hazard Awareness campaign for construction projects during safety meetings at the Superior, Ashland and Rice Lake campuses.
- OSHA conducted presentations to the cosmetology classes to highlight hazards in the hair/nail salon industry.
- OSHA conducted presentations to welding students at New Richmond campus.
- Conducted “Safety Day” with OSHA coordinating the subject matter and WITC coordinating the marketing and logistics of hosting the event in New Richmond, WI in which over 90 people attended.
- Conducted “Safety Day” with OSHA coordinating the subject matter and WITC coordinating the marketing and logistics of hosting the event in Superior, WI in which over 90 people attended.
- WITC and OSHA support the local RISC (Regional Indianhead Safety Council). WITC provides a meeting place and the OSHA CAS periodically presents.
- WITC’s Safety Trainer and OSHA’s CAS attend the Sand Plant Safety Peer meetings.
- WITC/OSHA hosted an Agricultural Safety Day with the Farm Business and Production Management students.
- OSHA used WITC’s facility for unique outreach opportunities at no cost.
- OSHA and WITC have developed a broader network for future projects.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained WITC 8th Annual Safety Day-New Richmond, WI 71 WITC 2nd Annual Safety Day – Superior, WI 83 OSHA – 30 Courses 15 WITC Safety and Security Committee Meeting 30 Farm Business and Production Management Safety Day 33 RISC Meetings 40 Student Courses: Welding and Cosmetology 69 OSHA – 10 Rice Lake 8 WITC Construction Project – Superior Campus 20 Building Code Update for construction contractors 110 Sand Plant Safety Group 12 TOTAL 491
- Upcoming Milestones<
- OSHA and WITC will work together for a stronger safety presence in the Farm Business and Production Management courses to provide safety training for farmers and farm workers, including Hispanic workers.
- Safety Day in Superior, WI on December 5, 2017.
- Safety Day in Rice Lake, WI on April 12, 2018. Three Tracks including Arc Flash/Electrical, Administrative-Safety Management, and Best Practices.
Report Prepared by:
Mary M. Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.