Reg 5 - Alliance Annual Report - September 1, 2015
Indiana Mexican Consulate Annual Alliance Report
- Alliance Background
August 28, 2013
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Indiana and Ohio with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- Vanessa Martin
- Melissa Linton
- Javier Abud
- Consul (Mexican Consulate)
- Luz Estela Alvarez
- Protection to Mexicanos
- Implementation Team Meetings
Planning meetings were held on August 28, 2014, April 26, 2015, July 21, 2015 and September 1, 2015. These meetings were held in order to coordinate outreach events throughout the year.
- Events and Products
August 2014 – August 2015
- Training and Education:
- The Indianapolis Area Office conducted four training sessions at the Consulate as well sharing seven email blasts of pertinent safety information.
- The Indianapolis Area Office provided OSHA publications in Spanish throughout the year to the Consulate for clients waiting for services.
- The Indianapolis Area Office held an OSHA informational booth at the Indiana Latino Expo on May 3, 2015.
- Outreach and Communication:
- During Labor Rights Week, OSHA personnel presented information about Worker Rights under OSHA, handed out publication and answered questions for clients at the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis on September 1, 2015. The worker rights week was well attended and received by Spanish speaking workers from Indiana.
- In Ohio, OSHA staff attended two mobile consulate events during this alliance period. The two events were held on October 4, 2014 and April 25, 2015 and were both held at the Columbus Health Department. There was an OSHA informational booth and worker rights information was handed out to about 200 people.
- Promotion of National Dialogue:
- The Alliance helped establish a cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Indianapolis.
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about worker rights under OSHA.
Same as above.
- Training and Education:
Type of Activity Number of Individuals Reached or Trained Labor Rights Week Presentation (panel) 27 National Fall Stand Down Training 45 Labor Rights 9/1: Speech at Consulate 38 Publications 500 Indiana Latino Expo 225 Speeches at Consulate 115 Mobile Consulate events (Ohio) 200 Email Blast of Safety Information 475 TOTAL 1625
- Upcoming Milestones
- No activities have been confirmed at this time.
Prepared by: Vanessa L. Martin, Indianapolis Area Director