Region 5 - Alliance Annual Report - September 23, 2014
THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF MEXICO IN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
September 23, 2014
August 26, 2013
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Illinois and Wisconsin with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
Implementation Team Members
- Luis Garcia
- Armando Cano
- Mexican Consulate
Implementation Team Meetings
Planning Meetings were held on July 2, 2014 and July 17, 2014; August 7, 2014 to plan and organize the worker rights week in late August and early September. A follow-up meeting was held after labor rights week to discuss the successes/shortcomings of activities during labor worker rights week and to plan for future events.
Events and Products
September 2013 - September 2014
- Training and Education:
- Outreach presentations have been held at various locations for workers from the Hispanic community in Spanish informing them of employee rights under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Information was also provided about OSHA and employer responsibilities under the OSH Act.
- Presentations in Spanish were held during labor rights week informing Spanish speaking employees of their rights and employer responsibilities.
- Outreach and Communication:
- During labor rights week- August 25- August 29, 2014 outreach events were held at various locations including, the Mexican Consulate in Chicago, mobile consulate locations, community centers, churches, schools, etc. During the events, Spanish speaking OSHA personnel manned an OSHA booth, handed out Spanish publications and answered questions. The worker rights week was attended by a large number of Spanish speaking workers and was very well received.
- Guest appearances were made at two Spanish radio stations, Radio Formula and Radio LaBamba by Spanish speaking OSHA compliance officers who answered questions related to workers’ rights under the OSH Act.
- Promotion of National Dialogue:
- The Alliance helped establish a cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Chicago.
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about workers rights under OSHA.
Same as above.
- Training and Education:
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
Worker Rights Week- booth and presentation
Mobile Consulate Events
Radio Guest Appearance
- Renew Alliance in August, 2015.
Report Prepared by: Sukhvir Kaur and Luis Garcia