Region 5 - Alliance Annual Report - January 19, 2012
ANNUAL REGIONAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (WITC)
Shell Lake, WI
January 19, 2012
- Alliance Background
November 3, 2009
The purpose of the alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to support workplace safety and reduce hazards and associated losses. This Alliance targets staff, students, outside employers, and members of our community with information, guidance, and access to training and related resources that will help promote and improve employee health and safety.
Implementation Team Members:
- Mary Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist
- Chris Fowler - Vice President of Continuing Education
- Joseph Hufte l- Vice President of Instructional Technology
- Mary Hansen - Human Resource Specialist, Safety and Security
- Chris Landstrom - Associate Dean of Continuing Education
- Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were held with Team Members:
Numerous phone calls and emails were exchanged to coordinate events and discuss future projects.
- November 17, 2010 to November 17, 2011
- OSHA presented for regularly scheduled WITC courses:
- Supervisor Risk Management Course
- OSHA presented at the Winter Staff In-Service Day.
- OSHA CAS worked with the four campus nurses to develop an ergonomic program for staff and students that focused on education and engineering controls. The Safety and Security committee adopted a program to manage ergonomic concerns.
- Conducted “Safety Day” with OSHA coordinating the subject matter and WITC coordinating the marketing and logistics of hosting the event in New Richmond in which 140 people attended.
- Established networking with the District MSHA outreach coordinator, OSHA CAS and Associate Dean for Continuing Education for more joint presentations.
- OSHA used WITC’s facility for unique outreach opportunities at no cost.
- OSHA and WITC have developed a broader network for future projects.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals
Reached or Trained
OSHA: Presentation to Trade and Technical Staff at the semi-annual In-Service on Hazard Recognition
OSHA: Presentation to Farmers in the Agri-Business Class
OSHA: Presentation to Supervisory Management
OSHA: Seminar for Records Requirements –Rice Lake
OSHA: Presentation to Welding Class on Workers Rights
OSHA/WITC: Safety Day in New Richmond – Day Long
OSHA/WITC: Safety and Security Internal Meeting
OSHA worked with the 4 WITC School Nurses on an internal ergonomic program and education
- Upcoming Milestones
- OSHA and WITC will work together for a stronger safety presence in the Farm Business and Production Management courses to provide safety training for farmers and farm workers, including Hispanic workers.
- Safety Day in Rice Lake, WI on March 15, 2012. Three Tracks including Arc Flash/Electrical, Administrative-Safety Management, and Best Practices.
Report Prepared by:
Mary M. Bauer, Eau Claire OSHA, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.