Region 5 - Alliance Annual Report - July 13, 2011
THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF MEXICO IN CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
July 13, 2011
- Alliance Background
May 11, 2010
The purpose of this Alliance is to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals in Illinois and Wisconsin with information, guidance and access to education and training resources to promote worker safety and health. Additionally, the alliance aims at helping workers understand the rights of workers and responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
Implementation Team Members
Diane Turek- OSHA
Luis Garcia – OSHA
Ioanna Navarrete- Mexican Consulate
- Implementation Team Meetings
Planning Meetings were held on June 9, 2010; July 8, 2010 and July 15, 2010 to plan and organize the worker rights week in late August and early September. A follow-up meeting was held on September 9, 2010 to discuss the successes/shortcomings of the worker rights week held in August/September and to plan for future events.
- Events and Products
May 2010 – July 2011
- Training and Education:
- Outreach presentations have been held for workers from the Hispanic community in Spanish informing them of the employee rights under the Occupational Safety and Health Act. Information was also provided about OSHA and employer responsibilities under the OSH Act.
- Presentations in Spanish were held during the workers rights week informing Hispanic employees of their rights and employers’ responsibilities.
- Outreach and Communication:
- A compliance officer spoke on Univision Radio informing audiences of the Alliance between OSHA and the Mexican Consulate. The purpose of the Alliance and the activities planned were discussed.
- During worker rights week- August 29- September 3, 2010 held at Douglas Park in Chicago, Spanish speaking OSHA personnel manned an OSHA booth, handed out publication and answered questions. The worker rights week was well attended and received by Spanish speaking workers.
- Participated in information “labor windows” organized by the consulate on Mondays.
- Promotion of National Dialogue:
- The Alliance helped establish a cooperative relationship with the Mexican Consulate in Chicago.
- Training and outreach activities organized as a result of the Alliance increased awareness and helped educate Spanish speaking employees about workers rights under OSHA.
Same as above.
- Training and Education:
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
Univision Radio Talk
Worker Rights Week
- Upcoming Milestones
Additional outreach and education is planned for another labor week August 29- September 3, 2011. Morning sessions at the consulate and evening sessions at local community centers throughout Chicago are planned to reach out to large number of Spanish speaking workers. The area office will continue to participate in the information sessions “labor window” organized by the consulate.
Report Prepared by: Sukhvir Kaur with input from Luis Garcia.