Region 4 - Alliance Annual Report - September 30, 2014
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Tampa Area Office
5807 Breckenridge Parkway, Suite A
Tampa, FL 33610
(813) 626-1177; Fax (813) 626-7015
Tampa Area Office Annual Status Report
United Safety Council (USC) Alliance
September 30, 2014
May 6, 2008
February 25, 2011
July 31, 2012
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the United Safety Council, Inc. (USC) agreed to establish an Alliance to reduce and prevent employee exposure to workplace hazards associated with disasters by developing and sharing information, guidance, and training resources on emergency preparedness and effective response.
Implementation Team Members:
The implementation team consists of representatives from the OSHA Area Office in Tampa, FL, and the United Safety Council, Inc. (USC).
June 1, 2013 - May 31, 2014
Implementation Team Meetings
The group conducted Alliance implementation team meetings, in person, by e-mail and by telephone, on the following dates: June 14, 2013; July 11, 2013; August 9, 2013; October 30, 2013; December 5, 2013; February 24, 2014; March 12, 2014; and May 15, 2014.
Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- February 28, 2014, a Compliance Safety and Health Officer (CSHO) from the OSHA Tampa Area Office conducted a presentation during the USC's Networking Luncheon. The OSHA Update presentation was focused on the Top Ten OSHA Violations, the enforcement inspection process, as well as OSHA's National and Regional Emphasis Programs.
Training and Education
- During this period, the USC conducted a total of 182 classes focused on the following occupational safety and health issues:
- Disaster Worker Training
- Hazard Communication
- Hazardous Waste Operations
- Emergency Preparedness
- First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
- Safety Management Systems
- During this period, the USC Alliance group facilitated a total of 12 OSHA Training Institute (OTI), Education Center (Ed Center), safety and health training courses conducted by the University of South Florida and Florida State College at Jacksonville. These courses included 4 OSHA 10 and 30-hour general industry safety and health courses.
- On August 28, 2013, the OSHA Tampa Area Office, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) provided training on the revised Hazard Communication Standard. The training focused on changes to the standard, hazard classification, pictograms, as well as product shipping labels.
- On May 19, 2014, the CAS supported the USC Alliance group by participating in the Certified Occupational Safety Specialist. The training course addressed OSHA standards, as well as its policies and procedures. The course was offered to Alliance members and non-members throughout the southeast.
Outreach and Communication
- On June 14, 2013, the CAS conducted a presentation on Emergency Preparedness and workplace violence for USC's Networking Luncheon. The luncheon was open to Alliance members, as well as non-members.
- On January 17, 2014 the CAS conducted an OSHA update presentation during USC's annual rewards banquet and assisted in the distribution of the safety awards.
- March 13, 2013, the USC Alliance group led the Alliance for Central Florida Safety Day, which was an all-day event to promote workplace safety and health. Over 400 workers and employers attended this event.
- During this period, the Alliance group assisted in the distribution of safety and health outreach material such as the Region IV's Tool Box Reviews Booklets, Photo Archive CDs, OSHA Resource CDs, and OSHA QuickCards.
- During this period, the Alliance group supported OSHA's Heat Illness Prevention Campaign and OSHA's National Fall Prevention Safety Stand-downs.
- During this period, the USC Alliance was promoted by the Alliance group at the following events:
- On July 17, 2013, at the annual conference of the Florida Association of Ambulatory Surgical Centers held in Orlando, FL.
- On August 1, 2013, at the annual conference of the Florida Energy Pipeline Association held in Sarasota, FL.
- On September 19, 2013, at the annual conference of the Physician's Office Managers Association of America held in Orlando, FL.
- On November 14, 2013, at the Leading Age annual conference held in Orlando, FL.
- On February 4, 2014, at the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America conference in Orlando, FL.
- On February 26, 2014 at the Central Florida Federal Field Safety and Health Council held at Kennedy Space Center, FL.
The alliance has brought many community safety professionals together for open discussion on how to reduce occupational hazards, especially small businesses, that do not have the resources to employ safety and/or health professionals.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number Reached or Trained
Certified Occupational Safety Specialist
Maintenance of Traffic
Hazardous Waste Operations
500 Construction Train-the-Trainer
501 General Industry Train-the-Trainer
502 Update for Construction Trainer
503 Update for General Industry Trainer
510 Standards for Construction Industry
511 Standards for General Industry
Other Various OTI Courses
Heat Stress Fact Sheet and Quick Cards
Various OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets
- During this period, the Alliance group is planning to renew this Alliance.
- October 31, 2014, the Alliance group will conduct a workshop entitled, “How to prepare for an OSHA Inspection.”
- During this period, the Alliance group will continue to work cooperatively with Florida State College at Jacksonville OTI Ed Center.
- During this period, the Alliance group will continue to encourage small businesses in Central Florida to develop and implement effective Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- During this period, the Alliance group will continue to promote the USC Alliance in the Central Florida Area.
- During this period, the Alliance group will continue and expand safety and health training for workers focused on all types of emergency preparedness.
Report prepared by Joan M. Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.