Region 4 - Alliance Annual Report - August 9, 2013
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Tampa Area Office
5807 Breckenridge Parkway, Suite A
Tampa, FL 33610
(813) 626-1177; Fax (813) 626-7015
Tampa Area Office Annual Status Report
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Florida Gulf Coast Chapter
August 9, 2013
June 12, 2008
February 25, 2011
April 22, 2013
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Florida Gulf Coast Chapter (ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter) agreed to establish an Alliance to reduce and prevent employee exposure to health and safety hazards, such as, falls, trenching and excavation, scaffolds, confined space, struck-by, chemical and electrical hazards in construction by developing and sharing information, guidance, and training resources.
Implementation Team Members
Tampa Area OSHA Area Office and the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Florida Gulf Coast Chapter.
June 1, 2011 - May 31, 2013
Implementation Team Meetings
The Alliance group conducted monthly meetings on the following dates: June 7, 2011; July 26, 2011; August 9, 2011; September 13, 2011; November 8, 2011; December 13, 2011; February 14, 2012; March 13, 2012; July 10, 2012; August 14, 2012; September 11, 2012; October 14, 2012; January 8, 2013; February 12, 2013 and April 9, 2013.
Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- During this period, the Alliance group led by the ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter conducted a total of 41 classes addressing occupational safety and health issues. The classes focused on the following topics: safety and health management systems; fall protection; trenching; scaffolding; rigging and signaling; emergency response; and struck-by hazards.
- During this period, the Alliance group conducted a total of 14 OSHA 10 or 30-Hour Safety and Health training courses, including one 10-hour course conducted in Spanish.
Outreach and Communication
During this period, the Alliance group distributed a wide range of OSHA safety and health outreach material including the following:
- The Regional Photo Archive CD; Struck-by CDs, Tool Box Reviews, and Newsletter,
- OSHA Quick Cards
On October 17, 2011, the Alliance group conducted a presentation on how to "Take Your Safety Program from Good to Great." The training covered the elements of a Safety and Health Management System with examples delivered. The training was provided by an Alliance member and the Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) of the Tampa Area Office. Thirty-seven members and nonmembers attended the event.
On March 30, 2012, the Alliance group conducted a presentation on trenching and excavation. The OSHA CAS and an Alliance member conducted the presentation, which was attended by twenty-three members and nonmembers.
On July 25, 2012, the Alliance conducted a presentation on fall protection. The presentation covered methods for fall protection in various situations. The OSHA CAS and an Alliance member conducted the presentation, which was attended by thirty-seven members and nonmembers.
On November 2, 2012, the Alliance group conducted a presentation on scaffolding. The OSHA CAS and an Alliance member conducted the presentation, which was attended by thirty-five members and nonmembers.
During this period, the ABC Alliance was promoted at the following events:
On July 14, 2011, at the Building Trades Instructors Annual Meeting held in Fort Myers, Florida (FL).
On July 28, 2011, at the Florida Energy Pipeline Association conference held in Clearwater, FL
On September 9 and 10th of 2011, at the White House Hispanic Community Action Summit held in Orlando, FL.
On October 8, 2011, at the Kmart/Sear's Safety Fair in Orlando, FL.
On November 7, 2011, at the international conference for safety professionals of Goodwill Industries in Orlando, FL.
On February 3. 2012, at the White House Hispanic Community Action Summit held in Tampa, FL.
On March 22, 2013, at the Professional Office Medical Managers Association Conference held in Orlando, FL.
On March 28, 2012, at the Polyurea Development Association National Conference held in Orlando, FL.
On June 5, 2012, at the Southwest Florida Air Conditioning Meeting held in Ft. Myers, FL.
On July 11, 2012, at the Ambulatory Surgical Center Association Conference held in Orlando, FL.
On July 12, 2012, at the Building Trades Instructors Annual Meeting held in Cocoa, FL.
On August 28, 2012, at the National Reconnaissance Office Training Program held in Cocoa, FL.
On November 11, 2012, at the Global Cold Chain National Conference held in Orlando, FL.
On February 19, 2013, at the Florida Industry and Mining Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Conference held in Orlando, FL.
On March 13, 2013, at the Alliance for Central Florida Safety (ACFS)/ American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) Safety Day held in Orlando, FL.
On April 17, 2013, at the Central Florida Federal Field Safety and Health Council held at Kennedy Space Center, FL.
- Links to various OSHA Webpages are now displayed on the ABC Gulf Coast Chapter's Website.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
OSHA 10-Hour Course
OSHA 30-Hour Course
Safety and health management
Rigging and Material Handling
Region IV Construction Toolbox
Various OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets
Fall Prevention Flyers
Heat Stress Prevention
- October 11, 2013, conduct a presentation on Revised Hazard Communication.
- December 12, 2013, conduct a presentation on a topic chosen by the ABC Safety Committee.
- Continue to promote the OSHA Heat Illness and Fall Prevention Campaigns.
- Continue to encourage small businesses in Central Florida to develop and implement effective Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- Continue to promote the ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Alliance in the West Central Florida Area.
- Continue to promote safety and health training for construction workers, including workers in hard-to-reach groups such as Latino and young workers.
Report prepared by Joan M. Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialis.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA's website.