Region 4 - Alliance Annual Report - October 14, 2007
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
Region IV Alliance Annual Status Report
October 14, 2007
I. Alliance Background
September 26, 2003 and Renewed December 20, 2006
OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT work cooperatively to provide workers and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to electrical transmission and distribution equipment hazards.
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT conducted effective meetings on - December 20, 2006, January 16, 2007, April 20, 2007, October 18, 2007 and November 14, 2007.
December 20, 2006, through December 19, 2007
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- The development of training and education programs for employees focusing on safety and health issues related to the electrical utility industry is one of the goals of this agreement. A detailed list of the training courses conducted and the number of personnel trained are provided in the tables below. Course topics included grounding, OSHA 10-hour training course, supervisory training, OSHA Power Transmission and Distribution Standard and others. However, these tables only reflect the personnel trained by SELCAT.
Outreach and Communication
- During the period from January 2007 through July 2007, a presentation on the Alliance was made to 88 apprentices attending the SELCAT FTS School.
- Representatives promoted the Alliance during numerous speaking and exhibiting opportunities. Please refer to the second table listed below for additional details.
- In 2007, the Alliance document was posted on NECA’s Website, to promote the cooperative agreement (www.slccneca.org). The Chapter Website also offers to the employees and member companies an opportunity to communicate “near misses” with other participants.
- In 2007, a system was developed and implemented which enabled participating employers and workers to best practices
- Developed and disseminated the Safety Alliance Update Quarterly Newsletter and Brochure to reach over 2,000 employees and companies. To date two newsletters have been issued to the target group for July 2007 and December 2007.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- In January 2007, Les Grove, Area Director, OSHA Region IV, Tampa, Florida, Area Office, and Steve Gaines participated in a panel discussion, gave presentations on the Alliance and answered participants' questions at the Outside Apprenticeship Conference in Orlando, Florida. Approximately 200 employers and employees attended this meeting.
- In August 9-11, 2007, Bill Grimes, OSHA Region IV, Assistant Regional Administrator, Cooperative and State Programs, Atlanta, Georgia, and Steve Gaines gave a presentation on the OSHA and IBEW Alliance and the OSHA Strategic Partnership with the electrical industry at the Fifth District IBEW meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana. Approximately 170 Union Official and representative attended this meeting.
The tables below reflect the training accomplished by SELCAT during 2007:
|SELCAT Training in 2007|
|Course||Apprentice Trained||Journeymen Trained||Total|
|First-Aid & CPR||167||60||278|
|Bucket Truck Rescue||72||8||84|
|Pole Top Rescue||72||8||80|
|Alliance Outreach Impact|
|Fifth District Progress Meeting||170|
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2008
- Continue to promote the Alliance near-miss and best practices reporting systems.
- Promote the OSHA Voluntary Protection Programs (VPP) to interested member companies in the Alliance.
- Explore participation in the Construction Education Foundation of Georgia (CEFGA) CareerExpo in April 2008.
- Develop schedule for Implementation Team Meetings in FY 2008
Projected meetings for 2008 are listed below:
March 19, 2008
June 18, 2008
September 17, 2008
December 17, 2008