Region 4 - Alliance Annual Report - March 23, 2015
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Fort Lauderdale Area Office
1000 South Pine Island Road, Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
SAFETY ALLIANCE FOR EXCELLENCE (SAFE)
March 23, 2015
March 8, 2013
March 11, 2015
The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Fort Lauderdale Area Office and the Safety Alliance for Excellence (SAFE) recognize the value of establishing an Alliance to provide SAFE members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, by reducing and preventing exposures in the construction industry related to the four leading causes of fatalities; Falls, Electrical, Struck-By and Caught-In-Between and understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
The implementation team consists of representatives from the OSHA Area Office in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and the Safety Alliance for Excellence (SAFE).
March 8, 2014 through March 8, 2015
Implementation Team Meetings
During this period, meetings were conducted by the group during the organization's monthly meeting on the first Wednesday of every month.
Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- During this period, the SAFE Alliance group coordinated the following safety and health training courses:
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- First aid
- New technologies for fall prevention
- Arc flash safety
- Hearing conservation
- Lightning detection
- Work zone safety
- Crane safety
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, the Alliance group promoted OSHA's 2014 Falls Prevention Campaign by convening a discussion with the construction industry on ways to reduce falls.
- During this period, the Alliance group assisted in the distribution of a wide range of safety and health outreach materials including the following:
- OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Campaign materials
- OSHA Falls Prevention materials
- OSHA Region 4 Falls and Struck-by CD's
- In April the Alliance group sponsored a seminar in support of Safe Digging Month. This event featured speakers form OSHA, Florida 811 and contractors from South Florida. These speakers addressed safe digging and other hazards related to trenching and excavations.
- Refer to the information provided above
- The Alliance group will continue to effectively promote OSHA's fall and heat illness prevention campaign throughout South Florida.
- The Alliance group will continue to provide SAFE members and others with effective safety and health outreach material for distribution throughout South Florida.
- The Alliance group will continue to provide training for workers in the following areas: Falls; Electrical; Struck-By; Caught-In-Between; as well as Understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Report Prepared by: Vergie Y. Bain, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at (202) 693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.