Region 4 - Alliance Renewal Agreement - March 15, 2016
ARRANGEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE
THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR’S
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
ATLANTA REGIONAL OFFICE
THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF EL SALVADOR IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Atlanta Regional Office and the Consulate General of El Salvador in Atlanta, Georgia, hereinafter referred to individually as “Participant” and collectively as “the Participants”;
Recognizing the joint commitment to protect the well-being of Salvadoran workers acknowledged in the Letter of Arrangement between the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the United States of America and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of El Salvador, signed at Washington, D.C., on November 6, 2014; and
Recognizing that OSHA’s Alliance Program provides for the establishment of cooperative relationships for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication, and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health;
Intend to form an Alliance to achieve the following:
The Participants intend to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Salvadoran Nationals in OSHA’s Region IV information, guidance, and access to education and training resources to promote workers’ rights in protecting their occupational safety and health, particularly with regard to preventing exposure to fall, amputation, trenching and excavation, and electrical hazards, and to help them understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Training and Education
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- To develop training and education programs for Salvadoran Nationals in OSHA’s Region IV regarding the prevention of exposures to fall, amputation, trenching and excavation, and electrical hazards, and to communicate such information to constituent workers and employers.
- To develop training and education programs for Salvadoran Nationals in OSHA’s Region IV to promote the understanding of workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers, including the use of the OSHA complaint process.
Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at the Participants’ conferences, local meetings, or other events, such as Labor Rights Week.
- To participate in “Mobile Consulate” activities and events.
Promotion of a National Dialogue
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following goal related to promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- To share information on applicable U.S. laws and standards, including those relating to workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers under the OSH Act.
An implementation team made up of representatives of each Participant intends to meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the Participants. In addition, the Participants intend to meet at least three times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance.
Nothing in this Arrangement commits the Participants to the expenditure of any funds.
This Arrangement commences upon signature by both Participants. This Arrangement is intended to discontinue two (2) years from the date of signing. A Participant should endeavor to provide the other Participant with thirty (30) days advance written notice of its intent to discontinue its participation in this Arrangement. This Arrangement may be modified in writing at any time by mutual consent of the Participants.
Signed at Atlanta, this 15th day of March, 2016, in duplicate, in the English and Spanish languages
FOR THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF
LABOR’S OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY
AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION,
ATLANTA REGIONAL OFFICE:
Kurt A. Petermeyer
FOR THE CONSULATE GENERAL
OF EL SALVADOR IN ATLANTA, GEORGIA:
Consul General of El Salvador
in Atlanta, Georgia