Region 4 - Alliance Annual Report - April 20, 2018
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(678) 237-0443; Fax (678) 237-0447
OSHA, Consul General of El Salvador in Atlanta Alliance
Region IV Alliance Annual Report
April 20, 2018
April 10, 2013
March 15, 2016
April 11, 2017, through April 10, 2018
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Consul General of El Salvador in Atlanta formed an Alliance to provide Salvadoran Nationals throughout the southeast with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety and allow them to exercise their rights fully.
Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
The Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) from the OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office and a representative from the OSHA Atlanta-East Area Office met with members of the El Salvadoran Consulate staff during this period, including the following timeframes:
September 1, 2017
March 6, 2018
Promotion of a National Dialogue: The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following goal related to promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- To share information on applicable U.S. laws and standards, including those relating to workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers under the OSH Act.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech/Presentation, Other On March 6, 2018, the EMPLEO (Employment Education and Outreach Initiative) agreement was signed in Atlanta, Georgia, with support from the Consulate of El Salvador. Following the signing, media interviews were conducted by the several signatories to the agreement. Construction, Fall Prevention, Hazard Communication/ Chemicals, Heat Illness Prevention, Hispanic/ Latino Worker and Small Business 500+ Training and Education: The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following training and education goal:
- To develop training and education programs for Salvadoran Nationals in OSHA's Region IV regarding the prevention of exposures to fall, amputation, trenching and excavation, and electrical hazards, and to communicate such information to constituent workers and employers.
- To develop training and education programs for Salvadoran Nationals in OSHA's Region IV to promote the understanding of workers' rights and responsibilities of employers, including the use of the OSHA complaint process.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached There was no action to report in this area during FY 2016 - 2017. Outreach and Communication: The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at the Participants’ conferences, local meetings, or other events, such as Labor Rights Week.
- To participate in “Mobile Consulate” activities and events.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Presentation and Dissemination On the 1st Friday of each month representatives from OSHA's Atlanta-West and East Area Offices conducted a monthly outreach visit to the Consulate of El Salvador.
- May 2017
- June 2017
- July 2017
- August 2017
- September 2017
- October 2017
- November 2017
- December 2017
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
Construction, Fall Prevention, Hazard Communication/ Chemicals, Heat Illness Prevention, Hispanic/ Latino Worker and Small Business 1,400+ Exhibit, Speech/Presentation, Dissemination During the week of September 4th, the OSHA CAS from the Atlanta-West Area Office supported the Consul General of El Salvador's Annual Labor Rights Week in Atlanta, Georgia. Hispanic/ Latino Workers; Fall Prevention, Worker Rights, Hazard Communication/ Chemicals, and Heat Illness Prevention 100+
Upcoming Milestones for 2018 - 2019
- Continue OSHA Region IV's ongoing effort to promote workplace safety and health to hard-to-reach workers by renewing the Alliance agreement.
- Continue to effectively promote outreach campaigns, such as OSHA's fall and heat illness prevention campaigns, to hard-to-reach workers.
- Continue to support the safety and health outreach events scheduled for the 2018 Labor Week and Occupational Health Week.
- Support mobile consulate events conducted throughout Region IV by the Consulate General of El Salvador in Atlanta.
Report prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance Coordinator