Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - December 4, 2015
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Raleigh Area Office
4407 Bland Rd., Suite 210
Raleigh, NC 27609
(919) 890-8096; Fax (919) 790-8224
The Department of the Navy Fleet Readiness Center East (FRCE)
The International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), and National Association of Aeronautical Examiners unions American Federation of Government Employees (NAAE) Alliance
Alliance Annual Report
December 4, 2015
A. Date Signed
December 4, 2013
B. Evaluation Period
December 4, 2014, through December 4, 2015
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Area Office in Raleigh, North Carolina (Raleigh Area Office), the Department of the Navy – Fleet Readiness Center East (FRCE), the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers (IAMAW), the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE), and the National Association of Aeronautical Examiners (NAAE) unions formed an Alliance to provide union members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to prevalent aircraft maintenance hazards and heat illnesses, as well as hazards unique to the Navy aircraft maintenance environment.
D. Implementation Team Members:
The team consists of representatives from the Raleigh OSHA Area Office, the Department of the Navy – Fleet Readiness Center East (FRCE), and the International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers (IAWAW); the American Federation of Government Employees (AFGE); and the National Association of Aeronautical Examiners (NAAE) unions.
Implementation Team Meetings
During this period, the group conducted at least three Alliance implementation team meetings, in person, by telephone, and through e-mail correspondence.
The following table summarizes the Alliance’s activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
Training and Education:
- To develop effective training and education programs for employers and employees regarding prevalent workplace hazards in the aircraft maintenance industry and communicating such information to employers and employees.
- To develop effective training and education programs for employers and employees regarding the prevention of heat-related illnesses in the workplace and communicating such information to employers and employees.
- To deliver or arrange for the delivery of safety and health training focused on prevalent workplace hazards in the aircraft maintenance industry.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Training, as well as Purchase and review of personal protective equipment (PPE) for workforce. During this period, a wide range of safety and health products were reviewed. The Safety and health products included the following:
- V22 aircraft maintenance stands (Fall Protection)
- Replaced aircraft self-retracting lifeline (Fall Protection)
- Purchased V22 Phase Stands
- F-35 Bump caps
- Blending Shop PPE Gloves Testing and Procurement
Fall Prevention and Hazard Communication/Chemicals 100 +
Outreach and Communication:
- To develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA’s and the FRCE’s Web sites) to employers and employees, as well as others in the industry.
- To share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding the FRCE’s good practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum) developed by the Participants.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech/ Presentation On November 20, 2015, representatives from the OSHA Raleigh Area Office supported the FRCE (Depot-wide) Safety Stand-down. The OSHA Area Director for the Raleigh Area Office briefed FRC East’s Senior Leaders on the Alliance. In addition, OSHA reviewed the engineering controls put in place at the H-53 Rotor Head Shop. Fall Prevention and Hazard Communication/Chemicals 100 + Speech/Presentation During this period, OSHA Raleigh Area Office was asked to provide compliance assistance support to the site on topics such as work restriction. OSHA Recordkeeping Reporting Requirements 100 +
Upcoming Milestones in FY 2016
- The Alliance group will continue to promote workplace safety and health throughout the U.S. Department of the Navy – Fleet Readiness Center East (FRCE).
- The Alliance group will continue to support OSHA’s annual prevention Campaigns.
- The Alliance agreement will be updated to include the signatures of the unions representing FRCE and OSHA and FRCE will renew the Alliance agreement during the FRCE Safety Day.
- During this period, management and union representatives from the FRCE will support the North Carolina (NC) - Federal Safety & Health Council (FFSHC) meetings and training sessions in Raleigh, NC.
Report prepared by Kim Morton, Area Director, OSHA Raleigh Area Office