Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - June 26, 2014
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Fort Lauderdale Area Office
1000 South Pine Island Road, Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33324
(954) 424-0242; Fax (954) 424-3073
Safety Council of Palm Beach County, Inc. (SCPBC) Annual Status Report
June 26, 2014
July 28, 2004
September 13, 2006, March 10, 2011, and March 14, 2013
OSHA and the SCPBC renewed this alliance with a continued emphasis on reducing and preventing employee exposure to workplace hazards in the construction and general industries, by developing effective safety and health tools (i.e., fleet safety programs, work zone safety, as well as safety and health management systems).
Implementation Team Members
The implementation team consists of representatives from the OSHA Area Office in Fort Lauderdale, FL, and the Safety Council of Palm Beach County, Inc. (SCPBC).
May 31, 2013 through May 31, 2014
Implementation Team Meetings
Meetings were conducted by the group on the following dates: 8/15/2013; 3/14/2014; and 4/3/2014
Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
Training and Education
- During this period, the Alliance group, led by the SCPBC conducted a total of 75 classes reaching over 450 workers. These courses addressed a wide range of safety and health topics including the following:
- Forklift operator training
- Forklift Train the Trainer
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Safe Lifting
- Fall Protection
- Accident Investigation
- Rigging and Signaling
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and first aid
- Maintenance of Traffic (MOT)
- OSHA 10 hour (General Industry & Construction)
- Hand and Power Tools
- Crowd Management
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillators (AED)
- Globally Harmonized System (GHS)
- During this period, the Alliance group partnered with the University of South Florida's OSHA Training Institute (OTI) Education Center (Ed Center) to support the following OTI Courses:
- OTI Course 501, Trainer Course in Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry
- OTI Course 503, Update for General Industry Outreach Trainer
- OTI Course 511, Occupational Safety and Health Standards for General Industry
- OTI Course 5600, Disaster Site Worker Train-the Trainer Course
- OTI Course 3015, Excavation, Trenching and Soil Mechanics
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, the Alliance group assisted in the distribution of safety and health outreach materials including the OSHA Heat Illness Prevention Campaign materials, and the OSHA Falls Prevention materials.
- On October 24, 2013, the Area Director for the Fort Lauderdale Area Office conducted an OSHA Update Presentation for the Alliance group.
- The Fort Lauderdale Area Office's Compliance Assistance Specialist conducted seminars for the Alliance group on the following dates:
- On September 24, 2013, a seminar focused on the revised hazard communication standard was conducted.
- On October 30, 2013, a seminar focused on OSHA's temporary worker initiative was conducted.
- Refer to the information provided above
- Upcoming Milestones for 2014 to 2015
- In 2015, the Alliance group will work to effective renew this agreement
- In 2015, the Alliance group will continue to promote occupational safety and health by conducting outreach to employers and workers in Palm Beach, St. Lucie and Indian River counties.
- In 2015, the Alliance group will continue to promote safety and health management systems (SHMS) by expand the number of employers working with SCPBC.
- In 2015, the Alliance group will continue to provide effective safety and health training for workers, by increasing the number of worker that receive training on the safe operation of forklifts, lockout/tagout, as well as other topics
Report Prepared by: Vergie Y. Bain, Compliance Assistance Specialist