Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - June 6, 2013
Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Tampa Area Office
5807 Breckenridge Parkway, Suite A
Tampa, FL 33610
(813) 626-1177; Fax (813) 626-7015
Tampa Area Office Annual Status Report
United Safety Council (USC) Alliance
June 6, 2013
- Alliance Background
May 6, 2008
February 25, 2011
July 31, 2012
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the United Safety Council (USC), Inc., agreed to establish an Alliance to reduce and prevent employee exposure to workplace hazards associated with disasters by developing and sharing information, guidance, and training resources on emergency preparedness and effective response.
June 1, 2011 - May 31, 2013
- Implementation Team Meetings
The implementation team consists of representatives from the OSHA and the United Safety Council (USC), Inc. The group conducted Alliance implementation team meetings, in person, by e-mail and by telephone, on the following dates: July 15, 2011; August 4, 2011; October 25, 2011; January 24, 2012; March 21, 2012; June 8, 2012; October 4, 2012; January 4, 2013; and April 30, 2013.
- Events and Products
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
- On July 31, November 30, 2012, and March 25, 2013, the Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS), from the OSHA Tampa Area Office, provided training to members of the Alliance group and others focused on the revised Hazard Communication Standard. The training addressed changes to the standard, hazard classification, pictograms and producing shipping labels.
- During this period, the USC conducted a total of 182 safety and health focused classes. These events focused on a wide range of topics including the following: disaster worker training; revised hazard communication standard; hazardous waste operations; emergency preparedness; CPR; first aid; AED; and safety and health management systems (SHMS).
- During this period, the USC Alliance group facilitated a total of 132 OSHA Technical Institute (OTI) safety and health training courses, including 21 OSHA 10 and 30-hour general industry safety courses. These training courses were conducted by the University of South Florida - OTI Education Center.
- On July 29, 2011, CAS conducted a free workshop for the Alliance group focused on Emergency Response in Confined Spaces. The workshop was open to members and non-members.
- On January 24, 2012, CAS conducted a free workshop for the Alliance group, in conjunction with University of South Florida's NIOSH Education Research Center, focused on OSHA recordkeeping requirements. The workshop was open to members and non-members.
- On April 19, 2012, CAS conducted a free workshop for the Alliance group focused on industrial hygiene. The workshop was open to members and non-members.
- During this period, the SSC Alliance group distributed a wide range of OSHA outreach material throughout Central Florida. These outreach materials included the following: the Region IV Struck-by CD; heat illness prevention material; fall protection information; and various OSHA Quick Cards.
- During this period, CAS promoted the Alliance group's free safety and health training session to local Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) sites, as well as local professional, trade and industry groups.
- During this period, the USC Alliance was promoted by the Alliance group at the following events:
- On July 14, 2011, at the Building Trades Instructors Annual Meeting held in Fort Myers, FL
- On July 28, 2011, at the Florida Energy Pipeline Association conference held in Clearwater, FL
- Several presentations for the Florida Roofing, Sheet Metal and Air Conditioning Contractors Association
- On September 9 - 10, 2011, at the White House Hispanic Community Action Summit held in Orlando, FL
- On October 8, 2011, at the Kmart/Sear's Safety Fair in Orlando, FL
- On November 7, 2011, at the International Conference for Safety Professionals of Goodwill Industries in Orlando, FL
- On February 3, 2012, at the White House Hispanic Community Action Summit held in Tampa, FL
- On March 22, 2012, at the Professional Office Medical Managers Association Conference held in Orlando, FL
- On March 28, 2012, at the Polyurea Development Association National Conference
- On June 5, 2012, at the Southwest Florida Air Conditioning Meeting held in Ft. Myers, FL
- On July 11, 2012, at the Ambulatory Surgical Center Association Conference held in Orlando, FL
- On July 12, 2012, at the Building Trades Instructors Annual Meeting held in Cocoa, FL
- On July 27, 2012, at the Florida JBT Food Tech Safety Meeting held in Lakeland, FL
- On August 28, 2012, at the National Reconnaissance Office Training Program held in Cocoa, FL
- On November 11, 2012, at the Global Cold Chain National Conference held in Orlando, FL
- On February 19, 2013, at the Florida Industry and Mining EHS Conference held in Orlando, FL
- On March 13, 2013, at the Alliance for Central Florida Safety and the Central Florida Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ACFS/ASSE) Safety Day held in Orlando, FL
- On April 17, 2013, at the Central Florida Federal Field Safety and Health Council held at Kennedy Space Center, FL
The alliance has brought many community safety professionals together for open discussion on how to reduce occupational hazards, especially small businesses, that do not have the resources to employ safety and/or health professionals.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
Certified Occupational Safety Specialist 74 First Aid/CPR/AED 372 Maintenance of Traffic 351 Fall Protection 20 Hazardous Waste Operations 43 Forklifts 81 10-hour OSHA 159 30-hour OSHA 21 500 Construction Train-the-Trainer 39 501 General Industry Train-the-Trainer 39 502 Update for Construction Trainer 25 503 Update for General Industry Trainer 15 510 Standards for Construction Industry 21 511 Standards for General Industry 28 Other Various OTI Courses 20 Heat Stress Fact Sheet and Quick Cards 150 Various OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets 150+
- Upcoming Milestones
- On June 14, 2013, the Alliance group will conduct a Lunch and Learn workshop focused on preventing heat illnesses.
- On August 21, 2013, the Alliance group will conduct a workshop focused on Creating a Safety Culture.
- The Alliance group will continue to encourage small businesses in Central Florida to develop and implement effective Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- The Alliance group will also continue to promote effective safety and health training for workers exposed to all types of emergency preparedness.
Report prepared by Joan M. Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialist.
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA.