Skip to main content
- Region 4
- Alliance Annual Report 2011-2013
Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - March 12, 2013
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office, 1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Birmingham Area Office, 950 22nd Street North, Suite 1050
Birmingham, AL 35203
(205) 731-1534; Fax (205) 731-0504
Annual Status Report - Alabama Trucking Association Workers
Compensation Fund (ATAWCF)
March 12, 2013
- Alliance Background
February 20, 2009
Renewed: January 27, 2012
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Alabama Trucking Association Workers Compensation (ATAWCF) Alliance is focused on reducing and preventing exposure to hazards on the highway, at pick-up and delivery points, as well as maintenance shops for ATAWCF workers and others.
- Implementation Team Membership:
Representatives from OSHA and the ATAWCF conducted by telephone and in person during outreach events.
June 18, 2011 through January 31, 2013
- Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- During this period, the ATAWCF conducts a series of safety seminars, including the most recent one in January of 2013. Over 250 trucking companies attend these seminars.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- During this period, the ATAWCF has conducted 124 onsite safety meetings for their members. These safety meetings focus on the following topics:
- Accident Prevention
- Prevention of Heat-related Illnesses
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- Proper Lifting Techniques
- Slips, Trips and Falls
- During this period, on two (2) separate occasions, the Workers Compensation Fund sent out to all its members a "Flash Bulletin" advising them of employee fatalities which had occurred. These bulletins covered the hazards of being Struck-By or Crushed-By and proper use of jacks. These Flash Bulletins were received by 370 individual trucking companies and 552 email recipients.
- During this period, the ATAWCF continued to disseminate OSHA's Fact Sheet regarding whistleblower provisions of the Surface Transportation Assistance Act - STAA and this Fact Sheet was distributed to ATAWCF members and others.
- During this period, the Alliance group sent out monthly newsletters via e-mail and hard copy newsletters. These newsletters are focused on various topics including the following:
- Hazard Communication
- Blood Borne Pathogens
- Slips, Trips and Falls
- Shop safety
- Powered Industrial Trucks
- OSHA Recordkeeping
- Refer to the items listed above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2013 - 2014
Report Prepared by: James S. Cooley, CAS, Birmingham Area Office
- Renew the Alliance
- Continue effective outreach to workers in the industry
- Develop safety information for maintenance and administrative areas
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA.