Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - April 16, 2012
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
Region IV Alliance Annual Status Report
April 16, 2012
I. Alliance Background
September 26, 2003; Renewed December 20, 2006; and Renewed July 1, 2011
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Southeastern Line Constructors Chapter of the National Electrical Contractors Association (SLCC/NECA), the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) 5th and tenth districts, and the Southeastern Line Constructors Apprenticeship and Training (SELCAT) work cooperatively to provide workers and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to electrical transmission and distribution equipment hazards.
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT conducted effective meetings on the following dates: April 26, 2011; August 17, 2011; November 9, 2011; and March 14, 2012.
February 1, 2011, through March 30, 2012
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- On September 6, 2011, from 7 to 8 a.m. the Alliance group successfully coordinated an “Electrical Safety Stand-Down” for electrical transmission and distribution industry employers and employees in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. At the start of that day’s work shift, employers were asked to use that first hour to provide training to their electrical work crews on the prevention of storm work-related hazards. Sponsors for this event included OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW and SELCAT. Event participants are listed below:
- IBEW Fifth and Tenth Districts
- 2 Contractors
- During the November 9, 2011, Alliance meeting the group began planning its third “Electrical Safety Stand-Down” for electrical transmission and distribution industry employers and employees in Alabama, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. The event took place on February 6, 2012, and it was focused on the prevention of struck by accidents.
- SELCAT continued its efforts to provide workers with effective training and education programs focusing on electrical utility industry issues, as well as safety and health. Course topics included the following:
- OSHA 10-hour training course
- First-Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation(CPR)
- Pole Top and Bucket Truck Rescue
- Transformer Safety Courses 1 & 2
Outreach and Communication
- The Alliance agreement was formally renewed on July 1, 2011.
- The Alliance was promoted during the NECA Safety Professional Conference on May 22 – 24, 2011, in Dallas, TX.
- During this period, the Alliance group continued to offer employees and member companies the opportunity to share their near-miss information with other participants through the NECA Chapter Web site.
- On March 14, 2012, Mr. Jerry Rivera, NECA Director of Safety, conducted a safety and health presentation for the group. Mr. Rivera’s presentation addressed a wide range of topics including the following: fall protection; OSHA’s regulatory agenda; and industry best practices.
- During this period, the group continued to publish and distribute the Safety Alliance Update Quarterly Newsletter, which reaches over 1,600 employees and companies.
Raising Awareness of OSHA’s Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiative
- Refer to the events list above
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2012
- The Alliance group will conduct the following scheduled implementation team meetings:
- May 16, 2012
- August 15, 2012
- November 7, 2012
- Continue to disseminate the quarterly Alliance newsletter
- Continue to develop and implement the Alliance Website
- Promote the Alliance agreement during the NECA Safety Professional Conference on May 21 – 23, 2012, in St. Louis, MO.
- Encourage interested State Plan Programs to support and participate in the Alliance
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance Coordinator
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.