Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - January 20, 2012
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
OSHA, Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and Georgia Tech Alliance
Region IV Alliance Annual Report
January 20, 2012
I. Alliance Background
December 7, 2004
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and the Georgia Institute of Technology –Safety, Health, and Environmental Technology Division (Georgia Tech) formed an Alliance to provide Mexican workers throughout the southeast with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety and allow them to exercise their rights fully.
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA communicated with Alliance members from the Mexican Consulate and Georgia Tech during the following time periods: June 29, 2011.
December 8, 2010, through December 31, 2011
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communication
- On June 29, 2011, representatives from OSHA met with staff members from the Consulate General of Mexico in Atlanta, GA, as well as the Consulate General of Guatemala, in Atlanta, GA, to discuss the upcoming Labor Week.
- During this period, the CAS from the OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office participated in a Labor Week (August 29 through September 2, 2011) event coordinated by the Consulate General of Mexico in Atlanta, GA. The event was a panel discussion focused on several topics, including safety and health issues impacting the Hispanic community.
- During this period, NIOSH representatives from Atlanta, GA, Cincinnati, OH, and Washington, D.C, invited OSHA CAS to participate in two conference calls regarding future outreach activities planned for Texas, California and Georgia. NIOSH is currently developing occupational safety and health videos and other outreach material with the cooperation of the Mexican Consulates in Dallas, TX, Los Angeles, CA, and Atlanta, GA.
- During this period, the CAS from the OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office developed a detailed fatality report, which focused on workplace fatalities in Georgia from 2008 to 2010. A copy of the report was shared with the Consulate General of Mexico in Atlanta, GA.
- Refer to the events list above
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2012
- Renewing the Alliance with the Consulate General of Mexico in Atlanta
- Support the safety and health outreach events scheduled for the 2012 Labor Week
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance Coordinator
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.