Skip to main content
- Region 4
- Alliance Annual Report 2010-2011
Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - September 26, 2011
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office, 1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Birmingham Area Office, 950 22nd Street North, Suite 1050
Birmingham, AL 35203
(205) 731-1534; Fax (205) 731-0504
Annual Status Report - Alabama Trucking Association Workers
Compensation Fund (ATAWCF)
September 26, 2011
- Alliance Background
February 20, 2009
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Alabama Trucking Association Workers Compensation (ATAWCF) Alliance is focused on reducing and preventing exposure to hazards on the highway, at pick-up and delivery points, as well as maintenance shops for ATAWCF workers and others.
- Implementation Team Membership:
Representatives from OSHA and the ATAWCF conducted meetings at the following locations on these dates:
- Montgomery, AL. January 27, 2011
- Birmingham, AL. February 1, 2011
- Mobile, AL. February 10, 2011
- Dothan, AL. February 17, 2011
March 19, 2010, thru July 18, 2011
- Events and Products
Training and Education
The Alabama Trucking Association Workers' Compensation Fund represents 372 Transportation & Trucking companies in Alabama. Currently they employ four full-time safety engineers to conduct unannounced safety inspections, safety seminars, and onsite safety meetings for member companies. Since 2009, the ATAWCF has averaged 96 onsite safety meetings a year for their members. These safety meetings focus on the following topics: accident prevention; prevention of heat-related illnesses; bloodborne pathogens; proper lifting techniques; as well as slips, trips and falls.
During this period, the Alliance group conducted the following seminars, which were focused on accident prevention and compliance assistance:
Seminar dates for 2010
Decatur, AL, July 15, 2010
Montgomery, AL. July 29, 2010
Mobile, AL, August 5, 2010
Dothan, AL, August 12, 2010
Birmingham, AL, August 19, 2010
Seminar dates for 2011
Montgomery, AL, January 27, 2011
Birmingham, AL, February 1, 2011
Mobile, AL, February 10, 2011
Dothan, AL, February 17, 2011
Outreach and Communication
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- During this period, the OSHA Fact Sheet regarding "Whistleblower Protection for Truck Drivers" was distributed to ATAWCF members and others.
- During this period, the Alliance group developed and released 19 new safety posters for members. The posters are focused on various topics including the following: fall protection; best practices for lifting; driver health; loading and unloading safety; as well as slip, trips and falls.
- During this period, the ATAWCF implemented a joint effort with the Washington Department of Labor and the University of Michigan to produce training programs. The specific focus is the reduction of accidents and injuries involving fall from heights, during the installation of tarps on flatbed trailers.
- During this period, the Alliance group conducted a review of the ATAWCF's certified safety program.
- During this period, the Alliance group promoted the ATAWCF Alliance during a meeting with the Chairperson of the American Trucking Association and the organization was invited to join the Alliance.
- Refer to the items listed above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2011 - 2012
Report Prepared by: James S. Cooley, CAS, Birmingham Area Office
- Renew the Alliance
- Continue effective outreach to workers in the industry
- Develop safety information for maintenance and administrative areas
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA.