Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - August 10, 2011
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Tampa Area Office
5807 Breckenridge Parkway, Suite A
Tampa, FL 33610
(813) 626-1177; Fax (813) 626-7015
Tampa Area Office Annual Status Report
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Alliance
August 10, 2011
- Alliance Background
June 12, 2008
February 25, 2011
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., Florida Gulf Coast Chapter (ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter) Alliance is focused on preventing employee exposure to health and safety hazards, such as, falls, trenching and excavation, scaffolds, confined space, struck-by, chemical and electrical hazards in the construction industry.
Implementation Team Members
Tampa Area OSHA Area Office and the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc., i Florida Gulf Coast Chapter.
June 1, 2010 - May 31, 2011
- Implementation Team Meetings
The Implementation Team conducted monthly meetings on the following dates: June 8, 2010; July 13, 2010; August 10, 2010; September 14, 2010; October 12, 2010; November 19, 2010; January 11, 2011; February 8, 2011; and April 5, 2011.
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- During this period, the ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter conducted a total of 26 classes addressing occupational safety and health issues covered by the Alliance, such as, safety and health management systems, fall protection, trenching, scaffolding, rigging and signaling, cranes, emergency response and struck-by hazards. Three of these safety classes were conducted in Spanish.
- During this period the group conducted a total of six OSHA 10 or 30-Hour Safety and Health training Courses. Two of the courses were conducted in Spanish.
Outreach and Communication
- On June 18, 2010, the Alliance group conducted a presentation on “How to Effectively Work with Non-English Speaking Personnel.” Packets distributed to participants contained Tool Box Reviews for Construction (both English and Spanish), Spanish OSHA Poster, Spanish Quickcards and other publications. The presentation was provided to members and non-members and 23 workers participated in the event.
- On January 28, 2011, the Alliance group conducted a presentation on the new OSHA Crane Standard. Copies of the Tool Box Reviews for Construction, Crane Quickcard, and Rigging CD were provided. The presentation was provided to members and non-members and 22 workers participated in the event.
- On February 8, 2011, the ABC hosted Georgia Tech at Hillsborough Community College for an eight-hour safety and health training course, which was focused on the hazards associated with an electrical Arc-flash. Participates were provided with a course book that contained many resource publications. The course was provided to members and non-members for free and a total of 85 workers attended the event.
- On April 5, 2011, the ABC conducted a presentation on Behavioral Based Safety Training. The presentation was provided to members and non-members and a total of four workers attended the event.
- On May 13, 2011, an OSHA Update presentation was conducted for the Alliance group. Copies of the Tool Box Reviews for Construction, various Quickcards, and other publications were distributed. The presentation was provided to members and non-members for free and the event was attended by 13 workers.
- On May 31, 2011, a member of the ABC Safety Committee gave a presentation on “Good to Great” Safety Programs. The presentation was provided to members and non-members and 25 workers attended the event.
- During this period, the Alliance group also assisted in the distribution of safety & health outreach material such as the Region IV Photo and Struck-by CDs, Tool Box Reviews, OSHA Quick Cards, Region IV Newsletter, safety products, as well as equipment recalls and other information.
- 1Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health Events
During this period, the Alliance was effectively promoted during the following events:
- On August 24, 2010, the Alliance was promoted at the Florida Parks and Recreation Conference in Orlando, FL.
- On September 11, 2010, the Alliance was promoted during the DOL Employment Compliant Forum held in Orlando, FL.
- October 31 - November 2, 2010, the Alliance was promoted during the Hispanic College and University Association National Conference held in Orlando, FL.
- On January 28, 2011, the Alliance was promoted during the KPA National Conference for Safety Engineers held in Orlando, FL.
- On March 20 -23, 2011, the Alliance was promoted during the American Foundry Society National Conference in Orlando, FL.
- On April 12, 2011, the Alliance was promoted at the National Association of Professional Employer Organizations annual conference held in Tampa, FL.
1 During each presentations the benefits of working cooperatively with OSHA was shared with a national audience. Alliance members also discussed the achievements of the group, such as providing effective safety and health training to worker in the construction industry.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number Reached or Trained
OSHA 10 Hour Course
OSHA 30 Hour Course
Safety and health management
Rigging and Material Handling
Region IV Construction Toolbox
Various OSHA Quick Cards and Fact Sheets
National Photo Archive CD
OSHA Publication CD
- Upcoming Milestones for FY 2012
- On December 2, 2011, provide presentation on topic chosen by the ABC Safety Committee.
- Continue to promote the development of Heat Injury Prevention Programs.
- Continue to encourage small businesses in Central Florida to develop and implement effective Safety and Health Management Systems (SHMS).
- Continue to promote the ABC Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Alliance in the West Central Florida Area.
- Continue and expand safety and health training for construction workers especially for the Latino and young worker.
- Continued to work with community safety professionals to ensure the effective delivery of safety and health outreach services to employers that need assistance.
Report prepared by Joan M. Spencer, Compliance Assistance Specialist
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov
iContributors: ABC's Florida Gulf Coast Chapter Safety Steering Committee comprised of community safety professionals from local, national and international companies, such as: Skylight Solutions; Cutler Associates; Merit Professional Coatings; J.R. Long Mechanical; Safety Training Consultants; Canto Tile; Skanska; Staff Source; B&I Contractors; Florida Rock; Enercon Services; Creative Contractors; Workers Temporary Staffing; Craftsmen on Call; Suncoast Electric; J2 Engineering; French's Air and VSC Fire &Security; McEnany Roofing; Inc.; J.O. Delotto and Sons; Inc.; BCH Mechanical; Inc.; Peter Brown Construction; Inc.; M.E. Wilson Company Insurance; Bouchard Insurance; Bovis Lendlease; Inc.; and KHS & S Contractors; Inc.