Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - January 7, 2011
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
OSHA, Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and Georgia Tech Alliance
Region IV Alliance Annual Report
January 7, 2011
I. Alliance Background:
December 7, 2004
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and the Georgia Institute of Technology –Safety, Health, and Environmental Technology Division (Georgia Tech) formed an Alliance to provide Mexican workers throughout the southeast with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety and allow them to exercise their rights fully.
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA communicated with Alliance members from the Mexican Consulate and Georgia Tech during the following time periods: January 21, 2010; July 12, 2010; and September 2010.
December 8, 2009, through December 7, 2010
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
Outreach and Communications
- On January 21, 2010, a letter was forwarded to the Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta regarding the upcoming National Action Summit for Latino Worker Health and Safety in Houston, TX.
- In September 2010, the Consulate General of Mexico organized a "Workers’ Rights Week" in Atlanta, Georgia. The Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) from the Atlanta-West Area Office participated in two outreach events. Total attendance for both events was approximately 250.
- During this period the CAS from the OSHA Atlanta-West Area Office conducted a speech focused on "Restaurant Safety" for a group of local Spanish-speaking restaurant owners and members of the Mexican American Business Chamber. Total attendance for this event was approximately 30 employers.
- During this period discussions were conducted in Georgia regarding the development of a Hispanic outreach initiative. Participants in the discussion included the Hispanic Contractors Association of Georgia, Latin American Association, Mexican Chamber and several other local Latino organizations. The outreach effort would focus on educating workers regarding their rights under the OSH Act.
- The Atlanta-West CAS completed a brief article regarding occupational fatalities in Georgia, which was posted on the Hispanic Contractor Association of Georgia’s (HCAG) website for the benefit all Latino organizations and workers throughout the State.
- On July 12, 2010, the Mexican Consulate was provided copies of several OSHA publications and outreach material printed in Spanish, which resulted from the National Action Summit for Latino Worker Health and Safety.
- Refer to events listed above
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2011<
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance Coordinator
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA.