Skip to main content
- Region 4
- Alliance Annual Report 2008-2009
Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - January 21, 2009
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
OSHA, Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and Georgia Tech Alliance
Region IV Alliance Annual Status Report
January 21, 2009
- Alliance Background
December 7, 2004
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Consul General of Mexico in Atlanta, and the Georgia Institute of Technology –Safety, Health, and Environmental Technology Division (Georgia Tech) OSHA formed an Alliance to provide Mexican workers throughout the southeast with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety and allow them to exercise their rights fully.
Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, the Mexican Consulate and Georgia Tech conducted all required quarterly meeting on the following dates:
- September 26, 2008 – Welcome letter forwarded by the Regional Office to the new Consul General
- March 13, 2009 – Met with Consulate staff
- June 16, 2009 - Complaint Screen Training (delayed)
December 8, 2007, through December 7, 2009
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- On Sept. 1, 2009, conducted an "Intro to OSHA" workshop with a Q/A section at the Atlanta Mexican Consulate as part of their "Labor Week" celebration. There were 75 Spanish speaking participants in attendance at the event.
Outreach and Communication
- During the 1st Quarter of FY 2009, a wide range of outreach material printed in Spanish was distributed through Region IV, including the booklets developed by OSHA in conjunction with the Mexican Embassy.
- On September 1, 2009, the Atlanta-West Area Office CAS participated at the Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights (GLAHR) weekly Spanish radio show. The show airs every Tuesday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am on AMOR AM-1100. During the event the CAS discussed the inspection process, the available compliance assistance resources, (employer and the employee) responsibilities and rights under the OSH Act, as well as how the community can help us reduce the number of work-related fatalities. The event was coordinated by a representative from the Mexican Consulate's staff.
- On October 6, 2008, the Atlanta-West Area Office CAS participated in the Mexican Consulate Bi-national Health Week – Health Fair. During the event safety and health concerns were addressed and OSHA outreach material was distributed. There were 100-200 Spanish-speaking participants in attendance at the event.
- The Atlanta-West CAS completed a detailed trend analysis of fatal accidents in Georgia for FY 2008. The report included a review of the workplace fatalities involving Hispanic workers, as well as a comparison between Latino and non-Latino workers fatalities.
- The Mexican Consulate was provided copies of several OSHA publications and outreach material printed in Spanish.
Refer to the events list above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2010
- Encourage the Mexican Consulate to participate in the Hispanic Worker Safety and Health Conference scheduled for April 14 – 15, 2010, in Houston, Texas.
- Provided safety and health complaint screening training to the Legal Protection Staff.
- OSHA will continue to support the Mexican Consul Binational Health Week – Health Fair.
Report Prepared by: Tom Bosley, Region IV Alliance Coordinator
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-6932340 or go to OSHA webpage.