Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - June 6, 2007
Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta-East Area Office
LaVista Perimeter Office Park
Building 7, Suite 110
Tucker, Georgia 30084
(770) 493-6644; Fax (770) 493-7725
Atlanta-East, Atlanta-West Area, and Savannah Offices
Georgia Youth Alliance Annual Report
Report Date: June 6, 2007
I. Alliance Background
June 6, 2006
OSHA, GLS-AIHA, GA-ASSE, CEFGA, GA DOE and Georgia Tech hereby form an Alliance to provide career/technical education teachers, students and others with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help protect career/technical education students’ health and safety in the construction and general industries.
II. Implementation Team and Contributors:
The implementation team members included representatives from OSHA, GLS-AIHA, GA-ASSE, CEFGA, GA DOE and Georgia Tech. Implementation team meetings were conducted as scheduled on 7/24/06, 8/9/06, 9/8/06, 10/24/06, 12/12/06, 3/6/07 and 5/4/07.
The Implementation Team Contributors included representatives from the US DOL – Wage and Hour Division (WHD) and the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
June 6, 2006, through June 6, 2007
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students at Maxwell High School 8/16 – 22/06.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students at McEachem High School 9/22 – 28/06.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to Construction Career Technology students at Dekalb Tech–North High School 2/20 – 32/27/2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training was provided to students in the Fulton County – YouthBuild Program. The training course was completed on May 4, 2007.
- An overview of OSHA’s rights and responsibilities for employees was provided to students at Camden High School on 8/29–30/06, Lanier High School on 9/6/06, and Lee County High School on 10/4/06.
Outreach and Communication
- July 18 – 20, 2006, the group participated in the Georgia Career & Technical Education (GACTE) Conference conducted at the Renaissance Waverly Hotel, in Atlanta, Georgia. During the event the OSHA Atlanta-East and West Area Offices shared a booth with the Georgia Tech Onsite Consultation Program.
- January 26 – 27, 2007, the group participated in the Trade and Industrial Educators of Georgia (TIEGA) Conference in Newnan, GA.
- April 26 – 27, 2007, the group participated in the Construction CareerExpo at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds. This event includes exhibitors, demonstrations and hands-on activities. The Expo is also conducted in conjunction with the Skills USA competitions. A booth was staffed at the event with representatives from OSHA, Georgia Tech Onsite Consultation Program and the US DOL – WHD.
- Total conference participants 3,200, including 515 company volunteers, 180 student competitors, as well as 2,500 students, teaches and counselors.
- The event was not limited to students interested in careers in construction, since CEFGA provided free shuttle service between the SkillsUSA hotel site and the Construction CareerExpo
- The event was supported by 92 schools and 150 companies.
- In addition to the CEFGA CareerExpo, Alliance members participated in career day events at Liburn, Varner, Centennial, Browns Mill and Grove Park Elementary Schools, as well as Grayson, Riverwood and SW Dekalb High Schools. Alliance members also participated in the Gwinnett County Peer Leadership Conference and the US EEOC career fair for college students.
- February 8, 2007, two members of the Georgia Tech Onsite Consultation Program staff served as judges for the Henry County Science Fair.
- A member of the Georgia Tech Onsite Consultation Program staff conducted a presentation at the Region IV ASSE Professional Development Conference titled "How we reach the youth."
- The group promoted the Alliance with an article in the April 2007 issue of the OSHA Region IV Quarterly E-Newsletter.
- Throughout the 2006 – 2007 school year, the group distributed outreach material to students and educators impacted by the Alliance. Outreach material included the OSHA Region IV Toolbox Pamphlet, NIOSH Youth Worker CD, Youth Working in Construction CD from US DOL – W&H Division, and the Minnesota Youth Worker CD.
- The group promoted the Alliance with an article in the May 2007 issue of the CEFGA magazine, "Career in Construction – Building your future"
- The US DOL-OSHA Youth Job Safety Campaign was promoted in the ASSE Georgia Chapter e-newsletter in May 2007.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Alliance was promoted at the Georgia Southern University, GSU Advisory Board meeting, Oct. 24, 2006.
- The Alliance was promoted at the Workforce Development Taskforce meeting in Albany, GA, on December 12, 2006, which addressed the needs for vocational instruction and training.
- The Alliance was promoted at the Central Georgia Workforce Development Taskforce meeting in Macon, GA, on November 16, 2006 and January 16, 2007 (Central Georgia Technical College), which addressed the needs for vocational instruction and training.
- A member of the Alliance attended the YouthRules Rally in Houston, Texas, in March 2007.
OSHA 10-Hour Training Course
|High School||OSHA Courses||Students Trained|
|Maxwell High School||OSHA 10||66|
|McEachem High School||OSHA 10||40|
|Dekalb Tech–North High School||OSHA 10||14|
|Fulton County YouthBuild||OSHA 10||9|
School Career Day Events and Other Youth Outreach
|Event Sponsor/High School||Outreach Activity||Students Impacted|
|Riverwood High School||Career Day||1,000|
|Emory University||Career Fair||300|
|Lilburn Elementary School||Career Day||100|
|Varner Elementary School||Career Day||52|
|Centennial Elementary||Career Day||91|
|Gwinnett County||Peer Leadership Conference||90|
|SW Dekalb High School||Career Day||35|
|Browns Mill Elementary School||Career Day||80|
|Grayson High School||Career Fair||400|
|U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission||Atlanta Federal Center (AFC) Career Fair for HBCU’s||50|
|Grove Park Elementary||Career Day||61|
Introduction to OSHA for Teen Workers
|09/01/06||Pickens High School--Construction classes||50|
|09/22/06||Dawson County High School--Construction classes||64|
|10/27/06||Fannin County High School--Technical Education classes||325|
|11/30/06||Gilmer High School--Construction and DCT classes||85|
|01/30/07||Upson-Lee High School--Three Construction Technology classes||55|
|02/05/07||Gwinnett Technical College--Commercial Construction Class||50|
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2008
- During the summer of 2007, CEFGA is offering the OSHA "Train-the-Trainer" Construction Course (OTI 500) to Construction Career Technology Instructors in Georgia.
- One July 20, 2007, the Savannah Area Office will provide safety and health training to approximately 50 Diversified Cooperative Training (DCT) Instructors in Savannah School System.
- OSHA 10-hour training will be provided to the Construction Career Technology students at Osborne High School in August/ September 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training will be provided to the Construction Career Technology students at Hiram High School August/ September 2007.
- OSHA 10-hour training will be provided to the Construction Career Technology students at Adairsville High School August/ September 2007.
- The group will participate in the 2008, Construction CareerExpo at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds. This event includes exhibitors, demonstrations, hands-on activities and the Skills USA competitions.