Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - August 11, 2006
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Jackson Area Office
3780 I-55 North, Suite 210
Jackson, MS 39211-6323
(601) 965-4606; Fax (601) 965-4610
EPA of MS Alliance Annual Milestone Status Report
August 11, 2006
I. Alliance Background
Date Signed: May 23, 2003 and Renewed July 27, 2005
Overview: to foster Alliance was established to foster a collaborative relationship between OSHA and EPA of MS focused on reducing and preventing exposure to electrical transmission and distribution equipment hazards.
Implementation Team Membership:
Representatives from OSHA and EPA of MS
Contributors: Same as above
Evaluation Period: May 17, 2005, through July 26, 2006
II. Implementation Team Meetings:
Fall quarterly meeting canceled due to Hurricane Katrina recovery/response (Renewal 6/27/05, EPA Annual Safety Coordinator’s Conference 8/24 – 25/05, and 3/28/06). Remainder of meetings held on a quarterly basis.
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
- Electric Power Associations of Mississippi presents monthly safety programs for all members.
- OSHA Presented “So You Want to Be a Lineman” to the following Associations to East Mississippi Electric Power Association
- OSHA participated in the Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College Apprentice Electric Lineman School
- Electric Power Associations of Mississippi sponsored Basic Lineman School
- OSHA attended the Electric Power Associations of Mississippi sponsored Advance Lineman School.
Outreach and Communication
- Electric Power Associations of Mississippi provided the following assistance to OSHA staff following Hurricane Katrina:
- Compiling customer power outage numbers
- Providing the location of lineman staging areas
- Assistance with safety briefing for lineman.
- OSHA participated in the Full Time Safety Coordinator Round Table
- OSHA participated in Annual Safety Coordinators Conference
- OSHA participated in the Arboriculture Seminar
- Best practices have been shared with group members
- The OSHA Region IV Falls in Construction CD has been distributed to EPA - MS members
- Several safety and health articles have been published in the Today in Mississippi, the official publication of the Electric Power Associations of Mississippi
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health FY 2006
- Representatives promote their good working relationship with OSHA at national safety coordinators meetings
- Refer to the events above.
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2007
- A new Apprentice Electric Lineman program will be held at East Mississippi Community College starting in August. This program will be similar to the one held in Lucedale.
- Arboriculture Seminar this fall