Reg 4 - Alliance Annual Report - November 22, 2005
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Atlanta Regional Office
61 Forsyth Street, S.W., Room 6T50
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
(404) 562-2300; Fax (404) 562-2295
Region IV Alliance Annual Status Report
November 22, 2005
I. Alliance Background
September 26, 2003
OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT work cooperatively to provide workers and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to electrical transmission and distribution equipment hazards.
II. Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Representatives from OSHA, SLCC/NECA, IBEW, and SELCAT conducted all of the required quarterly meeting October 21, 2004; January 25, 2005; April 26, 2005; and July 19, 2005.
September 26, 2004, through September 26, 2005
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
The development of training and education programs for employees focusing on safety and health issues related to the electrical utility industry is one of the goals of this agreement. The following training courses were developed or enhanced during this period:
- Informational Program
- Online curriculum or Refresher courses
- Lineman Supervision class TTT
- NJATC Grounding Course for non-members
- During this period approximately 320 Apprentices, 10 Foreman, and 25 Supervisors received training focused on safety and health through SELCAT
- Three Hundred (300) supervisory employees, including Foreman, received Safety Leadership training in the jurisdiction.
- Approximately 500 workers received industry related training during this period.
Outreach and Communication
- On August 25 – 27, 2005, the IBEW Fifth District Progress Meeting was conducted in Birmingham, Alabama. The meeting was attended by the Regional Labor Liaison and the Birmingham Area Office – CAS. As part of the outreach efforts of the alliance material was distributed at the information table promoting the agreement. Approximately 250 local IBEW representatives, delegates and guest attended the progress meeting.
- SELCAT, SLCC, and NECA representatives also participated in the August 25 – 27, 2005, the IBEW Fifth District Progress Meeting.
- Alliance participants have promoted safety and health by disseminating safety and health material developed by OSHA Region IV, such as the Toolbox Review Booklet, Photo Archive CD, Stuck by CD and the Hurricane Response Factsheets.
- Developed a system and report to enable participating employers and workers to share injury data and near-miss information, to prevent the reoccurrence of a similar incident
- Developed a system and report to enable participating employers and workers to best practices
Refer to the Training and Education events above
V. Upcoming Milestones in FY 2006
- Alliance renewal scheduled for FY 2006
- OSHA 10-hour training for Alliance participants
- Development of a tool box talk pamphlet for electrical workers
- Enhance and fully implement group goal to share best practices among participating industry contractors
- Currently developing a tentative schedule for Implementation Team Meetings in FY 2006
1 City of Atlanta, Clayton County, Cobb County, Dekalb County, Fulton County and Gwinnett County Fire Departments