Region 3 - Alliance Annual Report - August 14, 2018
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Delaware OSHA Consultation/Delaware Department of Labor
Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc. Delaware Chapter
June 15, 2016
June 15, 2017 – June 15, 2018
The Alliance was formed to provide ABC members and others with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers. The focus of the agreement is reducing and preventing exposures to safety and health hazards at construction sites and help workers understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
The purpose of this annual report is to provide an assessment of all activities that each of the partners have conducted to support the alliance goals.
Implementation Team Members:
OSHA Area Director – Erin G. Patterson
ABC President – Ed Capodanno
ABC Safety, Health & Wellness Committee Chair – Marie Wright
Delaware OSHA Consultation - Project Director – Traci Fraley
Implementation Team Meetings/Activities
- August 23, 2017
- January 17, 2018
- April 25, 2018
- May 9, 2018
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance's progress and results.
The following table summarizes the Alliance's activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives:
- To share information on OSHA's National/Regional/Local Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, and opportunities to participate in the rulemaking process
- To share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- To convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings at the OSHA and ABC DE annual meeting and/or the Fall Prevention Stand Down to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace or to provide input on safety and health issues.
- To encourage worker participation in workplace safety and health by promoting the value of injury and illness prevention programs.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Dissemination - ABC Newsletter Focus Four Article Focus Four 1002 Dissemination - ABC Newsletter Heat Stress Article Heat 1002 Dissemination - ABC Newsletter Fall Prevention Article Falls 1002 Dissemination Safety Tweets (weekly) OSHA 200 Exhibit Safety Exhibit @ ABC January 2018 Networking Event Construction 125 Dissemination & OSHA Product Review - ABC Newsletter & Website Safety Page OSHA Focus Four Campaign (February - May 2018) Focus Four 1002 Dissemination - ABC Newsletter Monthly safety articles provided by safety committee members appear at least monthly in the newsletter Safety, Health & Wellness 1002
Training and Education:
- To develop and/or deliver effective training and education programs for ABC DE members, their workers and others within the construction industry focusing on reducing and preventing exposure to falls, electrical, caught-in or between, and struck-by and any other relevant safety and health hazards, and to communicate such information to constituent employers and workers.
- To develop and/or deliver effective training and education programs for ABC members, their workers and other to promote understanding of workers' rights, including the use of the OSHA complaint process, and the responsibilities of employers and to communicate such information to workers and employers.
- To educate stakeholders and encourage the voluntary use of the free, confidential onsite consultation services provided by Delaware OSHA Consultation.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Training OSHA 10-hour training classes Construction 103 Event OSHA National Safety Stand Down to Prevent Falls Event; (2018 - 80 adults & 30 students and 6 teachers) Construction 227 Event OSHA Update and OSHA Consultation Review of Services at Lunch and Learn Construction 81 Training Evaluating your Safety Program & The Value of STEP Construction 21 Training Adult CPR & First Aid First Aid 179 Training OSHA Recordkeeping Recordkeeping 6 Training Silica update presentation provided by OSHA Office Silica 47
Outreach and Communication:
- To develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and OSHA and ABC DE's Web sites) to employers and workers in the industry.
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or ABC DE conferences, local meetings, and the National Safety Stand-Down to prevent Falls in Construction events.
- To share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding best practices or effective approaches through training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum) developed by the Participants.
Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech/Presentation OSHA Lunch and Learn Event OSHA 55 Speech/Presentation/Event/Training/Exhibit OSHA National Safety Stand Down to Prevent Falls Event Construction 85 Dissemination Safety Information published on ABC Website Safety Page Construction 1002 Dissemination - Newsletter and ABC Website Safety Page OSHA Focus Four Campaign (February - May 2018) Focus Four 1002 Dissemination-Newsletter OSHA Safe & Sound Week (August 13 - 19, 2018) Value of Safety & Health Program 1002 Dissemination/Speech/Presentation/Event The Value of ABC STEP Safety & Health 41 TOTAL 8,184
The second year of the Alliance activities provided during this evaluation period were well received. The member representatives and the recipients of the safety and health outreach activities/communications found the information valuable in assisting them in promoting and improving their safety and health efforts at their construction jobsites. ABC Delaware has provided significant support in the field of occupational safety and health during the alliance period, and won awards from their national chapter for generating the most participation in their organization's safety and health recognition program.
The individuals reached by the outreach activities/communication activities represent companies with many employees/members that would be directly affected by the safety and health information provided. The working relationship between all of the Alliance Signatories and the feedback on the Alliance continues to be very positive.
The Alliance continues to look at future opportunities to provide information for participants/membership in the upcoming year. The Alliance Signatories will continue to work together to address the safety and health needs of the participants/membership through the revision and implementation of their work plan. The revised work plan will continue to include ABC Delaware support to OSHA outreach events, development and dissemination of safety and health information, and training/education of their members and other construction industry stakeholders. ABC Delaware will also continue to encourage their members to request the use of Delaware OSHA Consultation services.
Report prepared by: Erin G. Patterson, Area Director, Wilmington Area Office.