Region 3 - Alliance Annual Report - July 17, 2017
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
ERIE AREA OFFICE, REGION III
ERIE INSTITUTE of TECHNOLOGY
July 17, 2017
Date Signed: June 13, 2013
Renewal Date: June 26, 2017
The Participants have established a collaborative relationship to provide Erie Institute of Technology (EIT) with outreach training programs for students and faculty. The Alliance participants will provide training, information, guidance and access to OSHA resources and help reduce workplace injuries and illnesses in Northwest Pennsylvania.
Implementation Team Members:
- Paul Fitzgerald, EIT Director
- Kimberly Clark, Student Services Coordinator
- Mark Harmon, USDOL/OSHA Erie Area Office
Implementation Team Meetings/Activities
- July 22, 2016 – Mark Harmon, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) discussed the content of OSHA material relating to student course work with Kim Clark, EIT Student Services Coordinator.
- October 24, 2016 – Mark Harmon, CAS met with Paul Fitzgerald, EIT Director on a future OSHA compliance staff training session covering auto lift safety.
- February 21, 2017, – Mark Harmon, CAS, completed a final meeting with EIT to discuss OSHA training and tour the new EIT auto body technology site.
- March 20, 2017 – Kim Clark posted OSHA material on the EIT student bulletin board which highlights OSHA National Fall Prevention Stand-Down Campaign.
- May 17, 2017 – Mark Harmon, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) discussed the annual open house event scheduled for August with Kim Clark, EIT Student Services Coordinator.
Events and Products
June 13, 2016 through June 13, 2017
Training and Education
Four "Intro to OSHA" education classes were provided to students entering the workforce regarding hazards associated with their trade(s). This training included resources that will help attendees gain a better understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers. This knowledge will protect the health and safety of workers, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to occupational safety and health hazards.
Outreach and Communication
Over the last year, the Erie OSHA office participated with the EIT Annual Open House. This event allows students and their families to tour the facility. We provided an OSHA table with free workplace safety & health informational booklets and pamphlets.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
EIT continues to promote our annual safety and health campaigns. During the 2nd week of May 2017 EIT posted educational material for all students to learn more about the OSHA National Fall Prevention Safety Stand Down to Prevent Falls in Construction. An OSHA poster with instructions and hyperlinks to additional resources was provided on the EIT bulletin board.
A. The table below lists each of the outreach activities and the number of individuals reached during the reporting period. NOTE: the table below does not include the various meetings held over the last year and the numerous participants that benefitted from the varied safety and health discussions at each of these meetings.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained "Intro to OSHA" Training (Summer term) July 22-26, 2016 120 EIT Annual Open House August 18, 2016 200 "Intro to OSHA" Training (Fall term) October 24-27, 2016 140 "Intro to OSHA" Training (Winter term) February 2-9, 2017 90 "Intro to OSHA" Training (Spring term) May 17-18, 2017 50 TOTAL 600
Participants are pleased with the fourth year's accomplishments of the Alliance. They agree to work together to improve the overall safety & health knowledge of young workers. The implementation team will encourage PA OSHA On-site Consultation Service to participate on the team.
Report Prepared by: Mark Harmon, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Erie Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.