Region 3 - Alliance Annual Report - July 18, 2016
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
ERIE AREA OFFICE, REGION III
ERIE INSTITUTE of TECHNOLOGY
July 18, 2016
Date Signed: June 13, 2013
Renewal Date: June 26, 2015
The Participants have established a collaborative relationship to provide Erie Institute of Technology (EIT) with outreach training programs for students and faculty. The Alliance participants will provide training, information, guidance and access to OSHA resources and help reduce workplace injuries and illnesses in Northwest Pennsylvania.
Implementation Team Members:
- Paul Fitzgerald, EIT Director
- Kate Hushon, Director of Education
- Mark Harmon, USDOL/OSHA Erie Area Office
Implementation Team Meetings/Activities
- July 31, 2015 – Mark Harmon, Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS) discussed the content of OSHA material relating to student course work with Kim Clark, EIT Student Services Coordinator.
- October 16, 2015 – Mark Harmon, CAS planned future OSHA training session with EIT Machinist Instructor, Justin Thomas.
- December 1, 2015, – Mark Harmon, CAS, completed a final meeting to discuss OSHA training session with EIT Machinist Instructor, Justin Thomas. OSHA Erie Assistant Area Director Brendan Claybaugh reviewed agenda and toured EIT facility.
- March 30, 2016 – Kim Clark posted OSHA material on the EIT student bulletin board which highlights OSHA National Fall Prevention Stand-Down Campaign.
- June 2, 2016 – Mark Harmon escorted the new Region 3 Regional Administrator Rich Mendelson and Erie Area Director Theresa Naim on a site visit of EIT as part of the local OSHA stakeholder meet and greet tour. Kate Hushon, Director of Education provided a brief tour and discussion of success working with the local OSHA office.
Events and Products
June 13, 2015 through June 13, 2016
Training and Education
Four "Intro to OSHA" training classes were provided to students entering the workforce regarding hazards associated with their trade(s). This training included resources that will help attendees gain a better understanding the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers. This knowledge will protect the health and safety of workers, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to occupational safety and health hazards.
Outreach and Communication
Over the last year, one half day training event for the Erie OSHA compliance staff was completed at EIT. This was completed on December 22, 2015, by Instructor Justin Thomas, Machinist Department. Mr. Thomas provided a basic overview of machine shop equipment, OSHA regulations and industry consensus standards to educate the field compliance staff.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
EIT continues to promote our annual safety and health campaigns. During the 1st week of May 2016 EIT posted educational material for all students to learn more about the OSHA National Fall Prevention Safety Stand Down to Prevent Falls in Construction. An OSHA poster with instructions and hyperlinks to additional resources was provided on the EIT bulletin board. Most recently EIT supported OSHA's annual summer Heat Stress Prevention campaign with educational material including posters and pamphlets.
A. The table below lists each of the outreach activities and the number of individuals reached during the reporting period. NOTE: the table below does not include the various meetings held over the last year and the numerous participants that benefitted from the varied safety and health discussions at each of these meetings.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.) Number of Individuals Reached or Trained "Intro to OSHA" Training (Summer term) July 30-31, 2015 60 "Intro to OSHA" Training (Fall term) October 16-19, 2015 110 "Intro to OSHA" Training (Winter term) February 11-12, 2016 45 "Intro to OSHA" Training (Spring term) April 22-25, 2016 73 TOTAL 288
Participants are pleased with the third year's accomplishments of the Alliance. They agree to work together to improve the overall safety & health knowledge of young workers. The implementation team will encourage PA OSHA On-site Consultation Service to participate on the team.
Report Prepared by: Mark Harmon, Compliance Assistance Specialist, Erie Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to www.osha.gov.