Region 3 - Alliance Annual Report - December 9, 2015
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
ALLENTOWN AREA OFFICE
LEHIGH VALLEY SAFETY COMMITTEE
A CONSORTIUM OF THE
NORTHAMPTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE
AMERICAN SOCIETY OF SAFETY ENGINEERS - LEHIGH VALLEY CHAPTER
December 9, 2015
Date Signed: December 12, 2011
Date Renewed: December 10, 2013
The Lehigh Valley Safety Committee is a consortium of organizations including business, labor and community leaders, which was developed to enhance safety and health knowledge for labor, management, academia and government for those who work in and around the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. The United States Department of Labor - Occupational Safety and Health Administration (USDOL/OSHA) alliance provides members and others with information, training, guidance and access to OSHA resources, that will help them reduce the potential for workplace injury and illness.
Implementation Team Members (Principals)
- Thomas Barnowski
- Northampton Community College (NCC) - Chair
- Lee Cunningham
- West-Side Hammer Electric - Vice Chair
- Heather Ehritz
- NCC - Secretary
- Rob Franklin
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), Local No. 375
- Jennifer Kszak
- Karl Buesgen, Jr.
- Orlando Diefenderfer Electrical Contractor
- Tyrone Reed
- Alvin H. Butz, Inc.
- Cynthia J. Mellen
- PA/OSHA Consultation Program at Indiana University of PA
- Dominic Brignola
- Global Loss Control - ASSE
- Scott Parker
- Henkles & McCoy
- Len Rameriz/David Pferrer
- Fromm Electric
- Jodi Simon
- St. Luke's Hospital
- Rodney Conn
- Smooth-On, Inc.
- Monica Flexer
- Wacker Chemical, Inc.
- Kevin Kalman
- Bethlehem Volunteer Fire Company
- Jenelle Perich
- William Paletski
- East Coast Risk Management
- Scott G. Shimandle
- USDOL/OSHA - Allentown Area Office
Implementation Team Meetings/Activities
- Jan. 14, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting - Brainstorming Session for May’s Workplace Violence Prevention Event, at Northampton Community College (NCC) - Fowler Center (Bethlehem, PA)
- Jan. 29, 2015
- Outreach Event - Navigating the HazCom Standard 2012 - Fowler Center
- Feb. 17, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting and presentation - Safety Lessons of the Arena, presented by Tyrone Reed, Corporate Safety Director of Alvin H. Butz, Inc. at NCC - Fowler Center (Bethlehem, PA)
- Mar. 17 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting and presentation - Fall Prevention and Rescue Methods, by Kristen Morgret and Luke Lazar, of RETTEW, at Fromm Electric Supply Corporation (Allentown, PA)
- Apr. 14, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting - planning meeting for Workplace Violence May Event - Fowler Center
- Apr. 21, 2015
- Outreach Event - OSHA Training Requirements - Fowler Center
- May 14, 2015
- Outreach Event - Workplace Violence Prevention and Response Seminar, NCC - Main Campus (Bethlehem, PA)
- Jul. 30, 2015
- Outreach Event – Job Safety Analysis – Fowler Center
- Aug. 11, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting – Fowler Center
- Sept. 15, 2015
- Outreach Event - OSHA Training Requirements - A review of OSHA 2254 - NCC Main Campus
- Oct. 13, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting and presentation - Fire Prevention and Extinguisher Usage, by Tom Barnowski, Director Corporate and Public Safety, NCC, NCC Main Campus
- Nov. 10, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting and presentation - Emergency Action Plans, Kevin Kalman, Bethlehem Volunteer Fire Company, Fowler Center
- Dec. 2, 2015
- Outreach Event - An OSHA Update, Scott Shimandle, USDOL/OSHA, Fowler Center
- Dec. 8, 2015
- Safety Alliance Committee meeting and presentation - Competent Persons, Scott Shimandle, USDOL/OSHA and Scott Parker, Henkles & McCoy, Fowler Center
Activities and Products
December 11, 2014 through December 8, 2015.
Training and Education
- January 29, 2015 - "Navigating the HazCom Standard 2012", 2 sessions presented by Tom Barnowski (NCC).
- February, 17, 2015 - Safety Lessons of the Arena, presented by Tyrone Reed, (Alvin H. Butz).
- March 17, 2015 - "Fall Prevention and Rescue Methods", co-presented by Kristen Morgret and Luke Lazard (RETTEW).
- April 21, 2015 - "OSH Training Requirements", 2 sessions presented by Tom Barnowski (NCC).
- May 14, 2015 - "Workplace Violence Prevention and Response Seminar", multiple presenters, including Tom Barnowski (NCC), Dr. Janice Cunningham (CIU-20), Mark A. DiLuzio (Bethlehem Police Dept.), Anthony Pidgeon (CIU-20), Garret L. Rain (PA State Police), Ryan Hoff, (Bethlehem Township Volunteer Fire Company), Jean Kulp (USDOL/OSHA), Abe Kassis (Northampton County), Gary Asteak (Asteak Law Offices), Hon. Jennifer Sletvold (Northampton County Court of Common Pleas), Hon. Douglas Schlegel (Northampton County District Court), Steve Stramara (The Seltzer Group).
- September 15, 2015 - "OSHA Training Requirements - A review of OSHA Publication 2254", presented by Scott Shimandle (USDOL/OSHA).
- October 13, 2015 - "Fire Prevention and Extinguisher Usage", presented by Tom Barnowski (NCC).
- November 10, 2015 - "Emergency Action Plans", presented by Kevin Kalman (Bethlehem Volunteer Fire Company).
- December 2, 2015 - "An OSHA Update", 2 sessions presented by Scott Shimandle (USODL/OSHA). Topics ranged from recording/reporting injuries and illnesses, GHS, Fall 2015 unified agenda, whistleblower guidelines, safety/health management guidelines, local/regional/national emphasis programs and initiatives.
- December 8, 2015 - "Competent Persons", presented by Scott Shimandle (USDOL/OSHA) and Scott Parker (Henkels & McCoy). A review of standards, definitions, designation, training and assessment.
Outreach and Communication
See comments above for Training and Education
Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
No national events were held during this time frame. However, Northampton Community College (NCC) continues to post information on the OSHA Alliance and each of the upcoming free events on their website at www.northampton.edu. Through the Community Colleges Center for Business & Industry - Public Safety & Emergency Services - Corporate Safety, an independent page has been established for the Lehigh Valley Safety Alliance.
All businesses and individuals who attend (or attended) NCC courses within the Corporate Safety Program are provided frequent updates to promote the events not only within the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania, but also globally. These updates are provided through their Center for Business & Industry, via email blast notifications.
- Training and Education
- Outreach and Communication
- Promoting the National Dialogue on Safety and Health
The products developed during this evaluation period include numerous PowerPoint presentations. The PowerPoint presentations were developed by each of the presenters, as well as flyers which were used to announce/register for the events. At this time, these presentations have not yet been made available on a national level, unless an attendee or presenter either copied or shared their information with others - this information has not been requested or tracked.
The table below lists each of the outreach activities and the number of individuals reached during the reporting period.
Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)
Number of Individuals Reached or Trained
Training - Navigating the HazCom Standard 2012
Presentation - Safety Lessons of the Arena
Presentation/Demo - Fall Prevention and Rescue Methods
Training - OSHA Training Requirements
Workshop - Workplace Violence Prevention & Response
Presentation - OSHA Training Requirements - A Review of OSHA Publication 2254
Presentation - Fire Prevention and Extinguisher Usage
Presentation - Emergency Action Plans
Presentation - An OSHA Update (2 sessions)
Presentation - Competent Persons
The Lehigh Valley Safety Committee is currently working on another full-day FREE "Safety Expo". This event will be a series of workshops with various safety and health topics, including "Aging Workforce", "Ergonomics", "Safety Committee Certification", "Chemical Safety for non-chemical Manufacturers", "Drugs in the Workplace", "Impaired Driver", "Fleet Safety/Distracted Driver"," Safety Audit Checklists", "Violent Intruder" . The event is scheduled for May 19, 2016.
Efforts will continue to include a safety topic at each of the Safety Committee meetings.
Report Prepared by: Scott G. Shimandle, CAS Allentown Area Office
For more information, contact the Office of Outreach Services and Alliances at 202-693-2340 or go to OSHA's Website.