Region 3 - Alliance Annual Report - August 20, 2008
ALLIANCE ANNUAL REPORT
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
HARRISBURG AREA OFFICE
THE PENNSYLVANIA CHAMBER OF BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY
August 20, 2008
I. Alliance Background
March 29, 2004
August 10, 2005;
August 20, 2007
Cooperative initiative to assist the American Subcontractors Association of Central Pennsylvania (ASACP) with information and out reach assistance in a effort become fully compliant with OSHA Standards and Regulations applicable to the construction trade. The ASACP is comprised of 100 different companies expressing a desire to stay up-to-date with OSHA regulations, safety training, professional and business development through varied educational seminars and programs, monthly membership meetings and professional advice from our retained consultants.
Cooperative initiative to assist PA Chamber members with information and outreach assistance in a effort become fully compliant with OSHA Standards and Regulations.
Implementation Team Members
OSHA Members: Robert M. Fink, Area Director; David Roccasecca, Assistant Area Director; Dale Glacken, Compliance Assistance Specialist
PA Chamber Members: Susan Smith, Director, Customer Learning; David Kreider, VP of Operations
August 10, 2007 thru August 20, 2008.
II. Implementation Team Meetings
August 2007 through August 2008 – Numerous contacts (telephone conference calls and e-mail exchanges) were made to prepare for each of the sessions.
III. Events and Products
Training and Education
1. September 12, 2006: The Harrisburg Area Office (HAO) Area Director (AD) spoke at the PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s, "Fall OSHA Roundtable" in Grantville, PA and reviewed updates to the current standards. Session was also attended by Mr. Joe Boslet from Inservco Insurance Services who presented information about "Workplace Violence" Prevention. It was followed up by Compliance Assistance Specialist (CAS), Dale Glacken to explain OSHA’s response to workplace violence. Mr. Kyle Stewart from American Westech provided an overview of "OSHA Fall Protection" requirements. The session ended with a question and answer segment where the audience asks the presenters safety/OSHA related questions. 88 members of the Chamber were present.
2. March 6, 2008: The HAO CAS provided an OSHA Update for members of the PA Chamber of Business and Industry’s, "Ask OSHA Roundtable" in Harrisburg, PA. Session was also attended by CAS, Steve Delp who explained "Complying with OSHA’s Revised Electrical Standard Requirements, Subpart S". This was followed up by Mr. Joe Boslet from Inservco Insurance Services who presented "Electrical Systems Safety and Arc Flash— Practical Applications". The session ended with a question and answer segment where the audience asked the presenters safety/OSHA related questions. 210 members of the Chamber were present.
3. May 22, 2008: The PA Chamber of Business and Industry hosted a full day "OSHA & Workplace Safety Conference" that was attended by 73 Chamber members. The sessions were put on by OSHA (Dale Glacken, John McFee) and local safety consultants (Colin J. Brigham, Steven D. High, Steve Katch, Troy Burd, Jeffrey Lee), topics included: An "OSHA update", "Voluntary Protection Program (VPP)", "Emergency Planning in the Real World", "Preventing Back and Overexertion Injuries", "The Little Things That Cause Injuries", "Cranes/Hoists/Lifts/Overhead Objects", "Noise Exposure Evaluation and Control" and "Complying with the Personal Protective Equipment Standard". The session ended with a question and answer segment where the audience had the opportunity to ask the presenters safety/OSHA related questions.
Outreach and Communication
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
The fourth year of the Alliance has been devoted to presenting information to the Chamber’s members at three different "Ask OSHA Roundtable" sessions. Similar activities will occur during the fourth year of the Alliance.
|Type of Activity (Conference, Training, Print and Electronic Distribution, etc.)||Number of Individuals Reached or Trained|
|Half day, "Ask OSHA roundtable", session 1||88|
|Half day, "Ask OSHA roundtable", session 2||210|
|Full day, "Ask OSHA roundtable"||73|
V. Upcoming Milestones
- Two Roundtables will be conducted this coming year with a full day OSHA/Chamber Roundtable being planned for 2009. We will continue to have meetings with the Chamber to work out the details for each. The Pennsylvania Chamber is currently the second largest state Chamber in the United States. They have over 10,000 members; 82% are considered small employers with less than 100 employees and 1/3 of their members have less than 10 employees.
- Sept 9, 2008: A half day "Ask OSHA Roundtable" presentation has been scheduled to provide an OSHA update and to review three topics: "Complying with OSHA’s Bloodborne Pathogen Standard", "Value and Timing of Flu Shots" and the "Prevention of Combustible Dust Explosions".