Region 3 - Alliance Agreement - September 28, 2007
AGREEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
PHILADELPHIA AREA OFFICE
THE AMERICAN MUSHROOM INSTITUTE
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Philadelphia Area Office, and the American Mushroom Institute, recognize the value of establishing a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. OSHA and the American Mushroom Institute hereby form an Alliance to provide local businesses and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees’ health and safety particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to falls, amputations, chemical, electrical and other physical hazards, and to develop and implement effective safety and health programs. In developing this Alliance, OSHA and the American Mushroom Institute recognize that OSHA’s State Plan and Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort.
OSHA and the American Mushroom Institute will work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- Develop and provide training and education programs for the mushroom growing industry for preventing hazards related to falls, amputations, chemical, electrical and physical hazards, for the development and implementation of effective safety and health programs, and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees.
OSHA and the American Mushroom Institute will work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- Provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards in the mushroom growing industry, and provide expertise in developing innovative ways of communicating such information through print, electronic media, and electronic assistance tools to employers and employees.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at the American Mushroom Institute training sessions, regional meetings or other events.
- Share non-confidential information among OSHA personnel and the American Mushroom Institute regarding best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by the American Mushroom Institute, and through OSHA or the American Mushroom Institute developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures or other applicable forum.
- Promote and encourage participation in OSHA’s cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program, Consultation, and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Encourage the American Mushroom Institute participants to build relationships with OSHA’s Regional and Area Offices and Consultation Projects to address health and safety issues.
OSHA and the American Mushroom Institute will work together to achieve the following goals related to promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise others’ awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to workplace safety and health whenever American Mushroom Institute leaders address groups.
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize their results.
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on health and safety issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.
The Alliance provides parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health. The Alliance will be a valuable tool for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that party’s products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of both organizations will meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least three times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance.
This agreement will remain in effect for two years. Either party may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days written notice. This agreement may be modified at any time with the concurrence of both parties.
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Philadelphia Area Office
American Mushroom Institute