Region 10 - Alliance Annual Report - August 30, 2019
U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Portland Area Office
The Consulate of Mexico in Portland, Oregon
August 30, 2012, renewed August 27, 2018
August 30, 2018 to August 30, 2019
The OSHA Portland Area Office and the Consulate of Mexico in Portland formed the Alliance to provide Mexican nationals in Oregon, Southwest Washington, and others information, guidance, and access to education and training resources. The Alliance focuses on worker safety and worker rights, specifically U.S. domestic law on the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
Cecil Tipton, Area Director, OSHA, Portland Area Office
Abby Lopez, State Programs Manager, OSHA Region X
The Consulate of Mexico in Portland
Jose Ernesto Hernandez Delgado, Mexican Consulate Portland
Alejandra Flores, Mexican Consulate Portland
Implementation Team Meetings
Alliance members planned outreach activities, including Labor Rights Week, via email communications.
Activities, Events, and Products
Training and Education
- Abby Lopez staffed information tables at the Consulate once per quarter.
- During Labor Rights Week, OSHA, the Consulate of Mexico in Portland, Oregon OSHA, Department of Labor agencies, and worker organizations conducted educational sessions at the Mexican Consulate.
Outreach and Communication
- Abby Lopez distributed worker rights information through the Mexican Consulate.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- The Mexican Consulate has been successful in facilitating OSHA outreach to the Hispanic community.
- The Alliance distributed worker rights information to hundreds of Hispanic workers in the Oregon and Southwest Washington.
The Alliance Agreement is up for renewal in August of 2020. The implementation team is working on updating the work plan.