Region 1 - Alliance Renewal Agreement - May, 18 2018
AGREEMENT RENEWING AN ALLIANCE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U. S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
BRIDGEPORT AREA OFFICE
CONNECTICUT DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
DIVISION OF OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH
GRIFFIN HOSPITAL OCCUPATIONAL MEDICINE CENTER
GREATER VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE
The U.S. Department of Labor's Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Bridgeport Area Office, Griffin Hospital Occupational Medicine Center (GHOMC) and the Greater Valley Chamber of Commerce (GVCC) recognize the value of maintaining a collaborative relationship to foster safer and more healthful American workplaces. To that end, OSHA, GHOMC and GVCC hereby renew in part an Alliance signed September 27, 2005 and renewed September 27, 2007, to provide client businesses located in the Greater Naugatuck Valley Area of Connecticut with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety.
This renewal agreement provides a framework and objectives for the Alliance's activities. Alliance participants will summarize specific activities and timeframes for completion in a written work plan.
Through the Alliance, the organizations will use relevant injury, illness, and hazard exposure data when appropriate to help identify areas of emphasis for Alliance awareness, outreach, and communication activities. The Alliance will also explore and implement selected options to evaluate the effectiveness of the Alliance and measure the impact of its overall effort on improving workplace safety for employers and workers. In renewing this Alliance, OSHA, GHOMC, and GVCC recognize that OSHA's State Plan and On-site Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort, and that information about the products and activities of the Alliance may be shared with these partners for the advancement of common goals.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following objectives related to raising awareness of OSHA's rulemaking and enforcement initiatives:
- Raise others' awareness of and demonstrate their own commitment to workplace safety and health when GHOMC and GVCC leaders address groups.
- Develop and disseminate case studies illustrating the business value of safety and health and publicize these results.
- Convene or participate in forums, round table discussions, or stakeholder meetings on health and safety issues to help forge innovative solutions in the workplace.
Training and Education
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following training and education objectives:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise to develop training and education programs for business clients' of GHOMC and GVCC including business groups in manufacturing, retail, health care and other industries regarding recordkeeping, hearing conservation, lockout/tagout, machine guarding, bloodborne pathogens and other topics identified through participant surveys and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Work with OSHA to develop workplace safety and health training and education curricula on recordkeeping, hearing conservation, lockout/tagout, machine guarding, bloodborne pathogens and topics identified through GHOMC developed and administered surveys.
Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication objectives:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information (e.g. print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools and OSHA's, GHOMC and GVCC Web sites) to employers and employees associated with GHOMC and GVCC.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding GHOMC and GVCC best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by GHOMC, GVCC and OSHA.
- Promote and encourage GHOMC and GVCC business clients' participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Program (VPP), the State Consultation Program, and the Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program (SHARP).
OSHA's Alliances provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that party's products or services; nor does the Agency enter into an Alliance with the purpose of promoting a particular party's products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of each organization will meet to develop a work plan, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least two times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. OSHA team members will include representatives of the Bridgeport Area Office and any other appropriate offices. OSHA will encourage State Plan States' and OSHA On-site Consultation Projects' participation on the team.
This agreement will remain in effect for two years. Either signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days written notice. This agreement may be modified at any time with the concurrence of all signatories.
Signed this 18th day of May, 2018.
- Steven Biasi
- Area Director
- Bridgeport Area Office
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
- William Purcell
- Greater Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Kenneth Tucker
- Division of Occupational Safety & Health Connecticut Department of Labor
- Myra Odenwaelder, DPT
- Director - Occupational Medicine and Rehabilitation Services
- Griffin Occupational Medicine Center