Region 1 - Alliance Annual Report - September 4, 2019
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
Workers’ Compensation Trust
September, 20, 2018
09/20/18 – 09/20/19
The Alliance agreement provides a framework and objectives for the Alliance Activities. Alliance participants will summarize specific activities and time frames for completion in a written work plan. The purpose and scope of the Alliance is to provide safety and health training to industries covered by OSHA’s General Industry Standards. Members of the roundtable meet to choose subject matter for the monthly meetings. OSHA provides a speaker or arranges for a speaker to give an overview of the subject and then the companies involved in the meeting engage in a discussion of the topic. This method provides training in the OSHA standards and gives the companies involved a venue to discuss abatement and compliance strategies that have been successful.
Implementation Team Members
Dale Varney – OSHA
Steve Biasi – OSHA
Paul Mangiafico - OSHA
Leona May - OSHA
Kenneth Tucker - CONN-OSHA
Diane Ritucci – Workers’ Compensation Trust
Implementation Team Meetings
Several meetings were held to coordinate and plan out future outreach sessions.
E-mail communications used to plan and coordinate meetings and outreach.
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period to monitor the Alliance’s progress and results.
The following table summarizes the Alliance’s activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
Raising Awareness of OSHA’s Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives: Conferences, presentations. Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Speech November 1, 2018 - Patient Handling in the Community Safe Lifting 14 Speech/Presentation November 8, 2018 - National Safety Council Defensive Driving 4-Hour Course Defensive Driving 12 Speech/Presentation November 14, 2018 - Supervisor Series: Honest Appraisal Safety and Health Appraisal 45 Speech/Presentation December 5, 2018 - WC Claims: Key Strategies for Improving Claim Outcomes Worker Compensation 24 Speech/Presentation December 13, 2018 - OSHA Recordkeeping: The Basics Recordkeeping 23 Speech/Presentation January 10, 2019 - OSHA Recordkeeping: Intermediate Recordkeeping 39 Speech/Presentation January 23, 2019 - National Safety Council Defensive Driving 4-Hour Course Defensive Driving 13 Speech/Presentation February 6, 2019 - OSHA Respiratory Protection and PPE PPE/Respiratory Protection 50 Speech/Presentation February 14, 2019 - Energizing Your Safety Committee Safety Committe 45 Speech/Presentation March 20, 2019 - OSHA Emergency Planning Emergency Planning 30 Speech/Presentation April 10, 2019 - National Safety Council Defensive Driving 4-Hour Course Defensive Driving 24 Speech/Presentation April 23/May 7 - Workers' Comp Claims Academy Workers Comp 20 Speech/Presentation May 9, 2019 - Supervisor Series: Common Decency® Safety for Supervision 57 Speech/Presentation May 15, 2019 - Managing Your Return To Work Program Return to Work 18 Speech/Presentation May 30, 2019 - The Opioid Crisis and Its Effect on CT Employers Opioid Crisis in CT 50 Speech/Presentation June 6, 2019-Safety Solutions for VNAs/Home Companions VNAs/Home Safety 25 Speech/Presentation June 11, 2019-ADA and FMLA: An Advanced Program for Employers ADA and FMLA 82 Speech/Presentation July 25, 2019-Best Practices in Workplace Violence Prevention Workplace Violence 42 Speech/Presentation August 7, 2019-National Safety Council Defensive Driving 4-Hour Course Defensive Driving 13 Speech/Presentation August 14, 2019-Establishing Safety Culture Excellence OSHA presentation Safe and Sound Week OSHA Safety Culture 38 Training and Education: Technical Assistance was provided at the following meetings: Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Outreach and Communication: None (see training and education) Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached TOTAL 687
The Alliance is running well with regular meeting, monthly seminars and other events. The Roundtable Meetings have been successful since its inception in 2011 and our distribution email list has grown to over 800 attendees. This year we are continuing with the sessions at the OSHA Education Center in Manchester NH since they have moved into a larger building that can host the meetings. The OSHA Education Center will also be providing additional administrative support in order to promote the sessions.
Members are working on new events for 2019 and 2020 which are set to kick off on 9/11/18.
Report prepared by: Andrew Palhof, Concord NH OSHA Area Office.
- Alliance Product: Products (e.g., fact sheets, videos, toolbox talks) developed by Alliance participants as part of the Alliance. These are not OSHA products.
- Dissemination: An Alliance participant sends OSHA information, Alliance products, or other safety and health information to its stakeholders. This includes information sent by email or social media (Facebook, Twitter), and information included in newsletters and other publications. It also includes hits on the Alliance participant’s or OSHA’s Web page.
- Evaluation: Any efforts by the Alliance participant to evaluate the effectiveness of an Alliance activity or the Alliance as a whole.
- Event: Participation in events such as the Construction Roundtable and NAOSH Week.
- Exhibit: OSHA exhibits at events sponsored by the Alliance participant.
- OSHA Product Review: Review of an OSHA product by an Alliance participant. For example, an Alliance participant may provide technical comments on an OSHA eTool or publication. The review itself is considered the Alliance activity.
- Speech/Presentation: Speeches or presentation by OSHA staff at events sponsored by the Alliance participant.
- Training: This includes best practice seminars or other training that Alliance participants provide for OSHA staff. It also includes training for workers/employers/others by Alliance participants.
- Other: Use this if an activity does not fit into one of the other categories.
OSHA Areas of Emphasis:
- Asian American/Pacific Islander Workers
- Fall Prevention
- Hazard Communication/Chemicals
- Health Care
- Heat Illness Prevention
- Hispanic/Latino Workers
- Oil and Gas
- Small Business
- Temporary Workers
- Young Workers