NSRP - Alliance Close-out Report - October 11, 2010
OSHA and National Shipbuilders Council of America (NSRP) Alliance
On July 15, 2003, OSHA and NSRP formed an Alliance to use their collective expertise to advance a culture of injury and illness prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge in the areas of shipbuilding and ship repair. The Alliance was renewed on February 20, 2006 and October 2, 2007.
Because OSHA is working with NSRP, the American Shipbuilding Association (ASA), and the Shipbuilders Council of America (SCA) to sign one maritime Alliance that will address the same goals and topic areas, the organizations agreed to conclude the Alliance as of July 15, 2009. A number of successes resulted from the Alliance, including:
- NSRP worked with ASA, SCA, American Industrial Hygiene Association, and the American Society of Safety Engineers to develop a series of safety alerts focusing on safety issues in shipyard employment:
- Safety Alert: Control of Hazardous Energy - Lockout/Tagout Procedures in Shipyard Employment
- Safety Alert: Electrocution and Shock Hazards in Shipyard Employment
- Safety Alert: Welding and Other Hot Work Procedures in Shipyard Employment
- Safety Alert: Ventitaltion Procedures in Shipyard Employment
- NSRP reviewed and provided feedback on a number of OSHA-developed products, including a Safety and Health Information Prevention Sheet focusing on rigging and "Tool Box Talks: Hearing Conservation in the Shipbuilding Industry."
- NSRP reviewed and provided feedback on the confined space flashpoint outreach document developed by the OSHA and the Gulf Coast Maritime Safety Association Alliance in Region IV.
- NSRP representatives serve on the Editorial Board for the OSHA Maritime Industry and Shipbuilding and Ship Repair Safety and Health Topics page's and the Shipyard Employment eTool. The pages received 43,646 visits in Fiscal Year 2008.
- NSRP supported North American Occupational Safety and Health Week in 2008 and 2009.
Report prepared by: Todd Briggs, Program Analyst, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, October 11, 2010.