NGFA-GEAPS-GHSC - Alliance Renewal Agreement - May 1, 2020
AGREEMENT RENEWING AN ALLIANCE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
THE NATIONAL GRAIN AND FEED ASSOCIATION
THE GRAIN ELEVATOR AND PROCESSING SOCIETY
THE GRAIN HANDLING SAFETY COUNCIL
Through the Alliance, OSHA, NGFA, GEAPS and GHSC will work to reduce and prevent exposure to safety and health hazards associated with the grain handling and storage industry, such as but not limited to, falls, entanglements, combustible dust, electrical, engulfment, and struck-by hazards. Specifically, each organization is committed to providing NGFA, GEAPS, and GHSC members and the public with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
This agreement provides a framework and objectives for the Alliance’s activities. Alliance participants will summarize specific activities and timeframes for completion in a written work plan.
Through the Alliance, the organizations will use relevant injury, illness, and hazard exposure data when appropriate, to help identify areas of emphasis for Alliance awareness, outreach, and communication activities. The Alliance will also explore and implement selected options, including but not limited to member surveys, to evaluate the Alliance and measure the impact on improving workplace safety and health. In renewing this Alliance, OSHA, NGFA, GEAPS, and GHSC recognize OSHA’s State Plan and On-Site Consultation Program partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort to ensure employers provide safe and healthy workplaces, and information about the products and activities of the Alliance may be shared with these partners for the advancement of common goals.
Raising Awareness: Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following objectives:
- Gather and share OSHA, NGFA, GEAPS, and GHSC recommended practices or other effective approaches on the recognition and prevention of grain handling and storage hazards (such as falls, entanglements, combustible dust, electrical, engulfment, and struck-by hazards) among OSHA personnel, industry safety and health professionals, employers, workers, producers, and others through workshops, seminars, lectures, and websites (or other comparable communication methods).
- Share information on OSHA’s National Initiatives (Emphasis Programs, Regulatory Agenda, Outreach), and opportunities to participate in initiatives and the rulemaking process.
- Share information on occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers.
- Plan, coordinate, and promote participation in the annual Stand Up for Grain Safety week to encourage employers and workers in the grain handling industry to participate in safety related activities such as training, hazard identification, and hazard correction.
- When feasible speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA, NGFA, GEAPS, or GHSC conferences, local meetings, training sessions, or other events.
- Encourage NGFA, GEAPS, GHSC, and the state and regional affiliates of NGFA and GEAPS to build relationships with OSHA’s Regional and Area Offices to address health and safety issues, including grain handling safety.
Training and Education
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following objective:
- Make available and promote effective training and education programs and resources for grain industry employers, workers, and others regarding the hazards associated with grain handling and storage.
OSHA’s Alliances provide organizations an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as raising awareness of OSHA’s initiatives, outreach, communication, training, and education. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with an organization, OSHA is not endorsing or promoting, nor does it intend to endorse or promote, any of that organization’s products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of each organization will meet one to two times per year to discuss the responsibilities of the participants, to share information on activities, and to track results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. OSHA team members will include representatives of the Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs, Directorate of Enforcement Programs, Directorate of Standards and Guidance, and selected Regions, including 5, 6, 7, 8, and 10. NGFA representatives will include members from the Association's Safety, Health, and Environmental Quality Committee. GEAPS representatives will include staff, volunteer leaders and members. GHSC representatives will include staff, volunteer leaders and/or members. OSHA will encourage State Plans’ and OSHA On-Site Consultation programs’ participation on the team.
This agreement will remain in effect for five (5) years. Any signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days’ written notice. This agreement may be modified at any time with the written concurrence of all signatories.
Signed this 1st day of May, 2020.
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for
Occupational Safety and Health
Randall C. Gordon
National Grain and Feed Association
Grain Handling and Processing Society
Board of Directors President
Grain Handling Safety Council