Gilbane - Alliance Agreement - September 29, 2004
AGREEMENT TO ESTABLISH AN ALLIANCE
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
THE GILBANE BUILDING COMPANY
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and Gilbane Building Company recognize the value of establishing a collaborative relationship to advance safer and more healthful American workplaces. OSHA and Gilbane Building Company therefore agree to form an Alliance to provide Gilbane's employees and others in the construction industry with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help protect employees' safety and health, particularly in reducing and preventing exposure to fall hazards. In developing this Alliance, OSHA and Gilbane Building Company recognize that OSHA's State Plan and Consultation Project partners are an integral part of the OSHA national effort.
OSHA and Gilbane Building Company will work together to achieve the following training and education goal:
- Provide expertise to OSHA to develop safety and health curricula on fall prevention, and to provide expertise in communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry. In addition, Gilbane Building Company will conduct two (2) 30-hour construction safety courses during each year of the Alliance to Gilbane employees, others in the construction industry and OSHA representatives.
OSHA and Gilbane Building Company will work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Work with other Alliance participants on construction industry issues and projects that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding Gilbane Building Company's best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by Gilbane Building Company and through OSHA - or Gilbane Building Company's developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
OSHA and Gilbane Building Company will work together to achieve the following goals related to promoting the national dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- Raise awareness through speeches and appearances and demonstrate Gilbane's commitment to workplace safety and health whenever the company's leaders address groups.
- Convene or participate in forums and round table discussions to help forge construction safety and health innovative solutions to employee safety and health issues in the workplace.
OSHA's Alliances provide parties an opportunity to participate in a voluntary cooperative relationship with OSHA for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health. These Alliances have proved to be valuable tools for both OSHA and its Alliance participants. By entering into an Alliance with a party, OSHA is not endorsing any of that party's products or services; nor does the Agency enter into an Alliance with the purpose of promoting a particular party's products or services.
An implementation team made up of representatives of both organizations will meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the participants. In addition, they will meet at least three times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance. Team members will include representatives of OSHA's Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs, Directorate of Construction and any other appropriate offices. OSHA will encourage State Plan States' and OSHA Consultation Projects' participation on the team.
This agreement will remain in effect for two years. Either signatory may terminate it for any reason at any time, provided they give 30 days written notice. This agreement may be modified at any time with the concurrence of both signatories.
Occupational Safety and
Corporate Safety Director
Gilbane Building Company