ASSP - Alliance Annual Report - June 1, 2017
ANNUAL ALLIANCE REPORT
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
The American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
December 4, 2002
- June 8, 2004
- June 12, 2006
- June 10, 2008
- March 16, 2012
- June 9, 2015
June 10, 2015 to December 3, 2016
Through this alliance, ASSE and OSHA provide ASSE members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Implementation Team Members
- Ethel Moreno, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances (OOSA), Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs (DCSP)
- Christina Morgan, OOSA, DCSP
- Damon Bonneau, Office of Construction Services (OCS), Directorate of Construction (DOC)
- Danezza Quintero, OCS, DOC
- Russell Jones - Office of Small Business Assistance (OSBA), DCSP
- Meghan P. Smith – Directorate of Whistleblower Protection Programs (DWPP)
- David Heidorn, Director, Public Relations
- Brenda Zylstra, Manager, Government Affairs and Policy
Implementation Team Meetings
- September 16, 2016
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the reporting period.
The following table summarizes the Alliance's activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
Outreach and Communication: To share information on OSHA's National Emphasis Programs, National Outreach Campaigns, Regulatory Agenda, occupational safety and health laws and standards, including the rights and responsibilities of workers and employers. Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Other On October 18, 2015, ASSE submitted comments and a white paper in response to OSHA's Request for Information on Chemical Management and Permissible Exposure Limits (79 FR 61383). Hazard Communication/Chemicals N/A Other On October 27, 2015, ASSE submitted comments in response to OSHA's Notice of Proposed Rule: Clarification of Employer's Continuing Obligation to Make and Maintain an Accurate Record of Each Recordable Injury and Illness (80 FR 45116). Recordkeeping N/A Dissemination On November 10, 2015, ASSE distributed its Government Affairs Update, which included updates on several OSHA activities and events, including those related to increased penalties, State plan fall protection standards, recordkeeping requirements, permissible exposure limits, whistleblower protections, and others. Hazard Communication/ Chemicals, Construction, Fall Protection, Recordkeeping 700 Dissemination On November 17, 2015, ASSE disseminated a statement on OSHA's draft Updated Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines. Safety & Health Programs 10,000 Other / Dissemination On February 25, 2016, ASSE submitted comments on OSHA's draft revised Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines and publicized them via a press release. Safety & Health Programs 3,000 Dissemination On February 29, 2016, ASSE distributed its Government Affairs Update, which included updates on OSHA's Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines, Fall Stand-Down, reporting requirements, Outreach Training Program, Hazard Classification Guidance, guidance on workplace violence in healthcare, fact sheets for agriculture and maritime industries, and others. Agriculture, Construction, Fall Protection, Hazard Communication / Chemicals, Healthcare, Maritime, Safety & Health Programs 700 Dissemination On March 14, 2016, ASSE President Michael Belcher did a "Safety Lately" podcast with Assistant Secretary David Michaels on topics such as safety and health management systems, working with small businesses, sustainability, the changing nature of work and the need to spark a national discussion about OSH. Safety & Health Programs, Small Business 18,000 Dissemination On March 24, 2016, ASSE sent an email blast to its Government Affairs mailing list announcing the release of the silica standard. Construction 700 Dissemination On April 8, 2016, ASSE distributed its March 2016 Government Affairs Update, which included updates on OSHA's Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines for both general industry and construction, the silica rule, the updated eye and face protection standards, the beryllium rulemaking, draft Guidance on Data Evaluation for Weight of Evidence Determination, and others. Hazard Communication / Chemicals, Safety & Health Programs 700 Dissemination On April 27, 2016, ASSE issued a press release publicizing the release of OSHA/CDC's Interim Guidance for Protecting Workers from Occupational Exposure to Zika Virus. 5,000 Dissemination ASSE promoted the May 2-6, 2016 National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction by:
- Publishing an April 27, 2016 press release publicizing Stand-Down events.
- Publishing a May 2, 2016 article in Industrial Safety & Hygiene News.
- Publishing several press releases publicizing the Fall Stand-Down and Stand-Down events between May 2-6, 2016
- Participating in the May 5, 2016 Stand-Down event at the MGM Casino Construction Site at National Harbor
Construction, Fall Prevention 15,000 Dissemination On May 10, 2016, ASSE issued a press release publicizing the release of OSHA's Temporary Worker Initiative Bulletins No. 4- Safety and Health Training and No. 5- Hazard Communication. Temporary Workers, Hazard Communication 7,000 Dissemination On May 11, 2016, ASSE disseminated a statement on OSHA's Electronic Recordkeeping Rule. Recordkeeping 20,000 Dissemination On June 10, 2016, ASSE distributed its April/May Government Affairs Update, which included updates on OSHA's recordkeeping modernization rule, the Fall Stand-Down, and legal challenges to the silica rule. Construction, Fall Prevention 700 Dissemination On July 17, 2016, ASSE published a press release entitled: "ASSE Applauds OSHA's Efforts to Explore How to Attract More Professionals to the OSH Field." 10,000 Dissemination On August 12, 2016, ASSE distributed its June/July 2016 Government Affairs Update, which included information on OSHA's recordkeeping requirements, legal challenges to OSHA's silica standard, OSHA's forthcoming Walking and Working Surfaces standard, issuance of a Process Safety Management memorandum, convening of a tree care stakeholder meeting, and others. Construction, Hazard Communication / Chemicals 700 Dissemination On September 30, 2016, ASSE published a press release announcing the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable's publication of a white paper, "Proposed Strategies for the Occupational Safety and Health Community to More Effectively Reach Small Contractors in Residential Construction." Construction 7,000 Dissemination On October 28, 2016, ASSE published a press release on OSHA's updated Recommended Practice for Safety and Health Programs. Safety & Health Programs 10,000 Dissemination OSHA/ASSE Alliance Webpage: OSHA maintains a webpage specific to the alliance. 1,223 unique page views Dissemination ASSE/OSHA Alliance Webpage: ASSE maintains a webpage specific to the alliance Not available Outreach and Communication: To speak, exhibit, appear, or participate in OSHA or ASSE forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on general industry, construction safety, temporary workers, or other areas of emphasis identified by the Alliance participants. Examples include: continued collaboration on ASSE's Professional Development Conference and the ASSE/AIHA's joint chapter meeting. Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Event On March 4, 2016, James Thornton represented ASSE at a National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH) meeting to discuss OSHA's draft revised Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines. Safety & Health Programs 20 Event On March 10, 2016, Michael Belcher, ASSE President, spoke on the panel at the stakeholder meeting on OSHA's draft revised Safety and Health Program Management Guidelines on March 10, 2016. Dave Heidorn and Brenda Zylstra also attended the meeting. Safety & Health Programs 50 Event On May 11, 2016, OSHA hosted the Annual Update meeting for the National Capital, NoVA, and Chesapeake Chapters of ASSE and the Potomac Section of AIHA. Assistant Secretary David Michaels and OSHA staff from several directorates provided agency updates at this event. Dave Heidorn also provided an ASSE Government Affairs update. 50 Speech/Presentation OSHA coordinated two sessions at the 2016 ASSE Safety PDC & Expo in Atlanta, Georgia on June 28, 2016. Entitled "Saving Lives One Case at a Time," the session was moderated by Tina Jones, OOSA, DCSP, and included the following presentations by OSHA staff:
- "Heat Stress in a Plastic Recycling Facility" (Jose Gonzalez, Mobile Area Office)
- "Chairlift Maintenance Incident" (Tandy L. Zitkus, Denver Area Office)
- "Burning Asphalt: A Fire/Explosion Investigation of an Asphalt Emulsification Plant" (Zack Vincent, Tampa Area Office)
- "Storage Deficiencies of Ammonium Nitrate" (Gary Files, Fort Worth Area Office)
- "Combustible Dust Hazards It's Just Sawdust!" (Amy Phillips, Albany Area Office)
1000 Outreach and Communication: To work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects such as construction safety, temporary worker protection, and any other issues that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program. For example: ASSE participation in the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable. Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Event John Mrzyosyk participated in the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable (APCR) on September 10, 2015 and March 24, 2016. Construction Not applicable Event On September 16, 2016, Brenda Zylstra represented ASSE at an OSHA-convened meeting of three alliance partners: ASSE, AIHA, and NSC. Not applicable Product John Mrzyosyk lead the development of the OSHA APCR's white paper, "Proposed Strategies for the Occupational Safety and Health Community to More Effectively Reach Small Contractors in Residential Construction", published in September 2016. Construction, Small Businesses Not applicable Product ASSE reviewed and provided feedback on the APCR's Safety Orientation Checklist for New Small Construction Contractors, published in September 2016. Construction, Small Businesses Not applicable TOTAL Approx. 111,543
In the next reporting period, ASSE will continue to disseminate information related to OSHA rulemakings/standards, enforcement, and outreach initiatives/campaigns as appropriate. ASSE will also collaborate with OSHA in the planning and execution of the first annual Safe + Sound Week: June 12-18, 2017.
Report prepared by: Christina Morgan, Safety & Occupational Health Specialist, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances (OOSA), June 2017
- Alliance Product: Products (e.g., fact sheets, videos, toolbox talks) developed by Alliance participants as part of the Alliance. These are not OSHA products.
- Dissemination: An Alliance participant sends OSHA information, Alliance products, or other safety and health information to its stakeholders. This includes information sent by email or social media (Facebook, Twitter), and information included in newsletters and other publications. It also includes hits on the Alliance participant's or OSHA's Web page.
- Evaluation: Any efforts by the Alliance participant to evaluate the effectiveness of an Alliance activity or the Alliance as a whole.
- Event: Participation in events such as the Construction Roundtable and NAOSH Week.
- Exhibit: OSHA exhibits at events sponsored by the Alliance participant.
- OSHA Product Review: Review of an OSHA product by an Alliance participant. For example, an Alliance participant may provide technical comments on an OSHA eTool or publication. The review itself is considered the Alliance activity.
- Speech/Presentation: Speeches or presentation by OSHA staff at events sponsored by the Alliance participant.
- Training: This includes best practice seminars or other training that Alliance participants provide for OSHA staff. It also includes training for workers/employers/others by Alliance participants.
- Other: Use this if an activity does not fit into one of the other categories.