AIHA - Alliance Annual Report - April 12, 2016
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
and the American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
April 12, 2016
- Alliance Background
- Date Signed
October 10, 2002
- Dates Renewed
April 23, 2004
July 6, 2006
October 21, 2008
May 21, 2013
October 10, 2011 – October 9, 2015
The OSHA and AIHA Alliance focuses on providing AIHA members and others with information, guidance, and access to training resources that will help them protect the health and safety of workers, particularly by reducing and preventing exposure to construction, general industry, shipyard employment, and oil and gas hazards, and understand the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act.
- Implementation Team Members
- Brett Besser
- Ergonomist, Salt Lake Technical Center, Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management
- Todd Briggs
- Program Analyst, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances (OOSA), Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs (DCSP)
- Russell Jones
- Occupational Safety and Health Specialist, Office of Small Business Assistance, DCSP
- David Hicks
- Manager, Technical Initiatives
- Steven Lacey
- Past Association President
- Vick Yobp
- Managing Director, Professional Community
- Date Signed
- Implementation Team Meetings
- December 12, 2012
- April 11, 2013
- August 29, 2013
- January 23, 2014
- May 16, 2014
- October 23, 2014
- April 16, 2014
- August 28, 2015
- April 7, 2015
In addition to these formal meetings, the Alliance coordinators from both groups maintained regular contact throughout the evaluation period to monitor the Alliance’s progress and results.
The following table summarizes the Alliance’s activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreements for the evaluation period of this report.
Raising Awareness of OSHA's Rulemaking and Enforcement Initiatives: Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on construction and general industry safety issues, such as the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable. Activity Type Activity Name/Summary OSHA Areas of Emphasis Supported Number Reached Event
OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable
- An AIHA Representative participated in the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable meetings at the Department of Labor. During the meetings, the participants received updates from OSHA, NIOSH, and other Roundtable attendees. The Roundtable also developed products, identified projects, and disseminated outreach and compliance assistance resources in an effort to better protect the safety and health of workers in the construction industry.
Construction/ Fall Prevention?
280 Outreach and Communication: Develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to communicate such information to employers and workers in the industry. Products Developed in 2012
- Safety Alert: Prevention of Ergonomic-Related Hazards in Shipyard Employment* (Spanish translation; 2012, February). Addresses the prevention of ergonomic-related hazards in shipyard employment, including possible solutions to prevent injuries during the job.
- Safety Alert: Prevention of Ventilation Hazards in Shipyard Employment* (Spanish translation; 2012, June). Addresses the prevention of ventilation-related hazards in shipyard employment, including possible solutions to prevent injuries during the job.
Construction/Hispanic/Latino Workers Not Available Products Developed in 2013 Construction/Hispanic/Latino Workers Not Available
- QuickTips: For Job Health and Safety on Hazardous Drugs in Health Care* (2013, September). Provides at-a-glance information on specific hazards.
Healthcare Products Developed in 2014 Construction/Hispanic/Latino Workers Not Available
- QuickTakes: For Job Health and Safety on Hazardous Drugs in Health Care* (Spanish translation; 2014, January). Provides at-a-glance information on specific hazards.
Healthcare/Hispanic/Latino Workers Outreach and Communication: Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's or AIHA's conferences, local meetings, such as the American Industrial Hygiene Conference and Expo. Event AIHce Annual Conference
- OSHA staff delivered plenary presentations, presented at technical workshops, and staffed an exhibit booth at AIHA’s annual conference.
Not Available Event Joint ASSE/AIHA Chapter Meetings
- An AIHA Representative delivered an update on the OSHA and AIHA Alliance at the joint ASSE/AIHA Chapter meeting held each May at the Department of Labor.
500 Outreach and Communication: Raise Awareness of relevant OSHA rulemakings, enforcement initiatives, and outreach campaigns as appropriate. Dissemination OSHA’s Prevention of Falls Campaign
- AIHA has supported the Agency’s national outreach campaign since 2014. AIHA promoted the campaign on its Website and in publications, and helped to disseminate safety and health outreach materials focusing on the prevention of falls in construction.
Construction Not Available Dissemination OSHA’s Prevention of Heat Illness in Outdoor Workers
- AIHA has supported the Agency’s national outreach campaign since 2014. AIHA promoted the campaign on its Website and in publications, and helped to disseminate safety and health outreach materials focusing on the prevention of heat illness in outdoor workers.
Heat/Construction Not Available Dissemination North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week
- AIHA supported North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) Week each year during the evaluation period.
780 reached, plus other unknown reached through additional outreach.
- Upcoming Milestones
In the upcoming year, OSHA and AIHA plan to undertake several additional projects through the Alliance to provide information, guidance and access to training resources on safety and health issues in the construction, general industry, shipyard employment, and oil and gas industries. For example, AIHA will continue to support OSHA’s national outreach campaign focusing on the prevention of falls in construction, including support for National Safety Stand-Down-Week- May 2-6, 2016. Through the Alliance, AIHA will deliver an Alliance update at the joint ASSE/AIHA Chapter meeting on May 2016 at the Department of Labor (DOL). AIHA will also review and provide feedback on the OSHA Oil and Gas eTool in an effort to update the industry resource. An AIHA representative will also continue to participate in the OSHA Alliance Program Construction Roundtable, which meets bi-annually at DOL. Lastly, AIHA will provide OSHA with an Alliance exhibit at their Annual AIHce Conference on May 21-26, 2016, in Baltimore, Maryland.
Report prepared by: Todd Briggs, Program Analyst, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, April 12, 2016.