- Safety and Health Topics
This section highlights OSHA standards, Federal Register notices (rules, proposed rules, and notices), directives (instructions to OSHA staff), and letters of interpretation (official letters of interpretation of the standards) related to textiles.
Frequently Cited Standards
OSHA maintains a listing of the most frequently cited standards for specified 2-6-digit North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes. Please refer to OSHA's Frequently Cited OSHA Standards page for additional information. For Textile Mill Products use NAICS code 314 in the NAICS search box.
Other Highlighted Standards
General Industry (29 CFR 1910)
- 1910 Subpart R, Special industries
- 1910.262, Textiles
- 1910 Subpart Z, Toxic and hazardous substances [related topic page]
- 1910.1043, Cotton dust [related topic page]
- Appendix A, Air sampling and analytical procedures for determining concentrations of cotton dust
- Appendix B-I, Respiratory questionnaire
- Appendix B-III, Abbreviated respiratory questionnaire
- Appendix C, Spirometry prediction tables for normal males and females
- Appendix D, Pulmonary function standards for cotton dust standard
- Appendix E, Vertical elutriator equivalency protocol
- 1910.1045, Acrylonitrile
- Appendix B, Substance technical guidelines for acrylonitrile
- 1910.1048, Formaldehyde [related topic page]
- 1910.1052, Methylene chloride [related topic page]
Federal Register Notices
- Occupational Exposure to Cotton Dust. Final Rules 65:76563-76567, (December 7, 2000). OSHA issued a direct final rule amending its occupational health standard for Cotton Dust, which was issued in 1978 and amended in 1985, to add cotton washed in a batch kier system to the types of washed cotton partially exempt from the cotton dust standard.
- Cotton Dust Manual. CPL 02-02-031 [CPL 2-2.31], (January 16, 1981).
- Benzidine - Based Dyes: Direct Black 38, Direct Brown 95 and Direct Blue 6 Dyes. CPL 02-02-027 [CPL 2-2.27], (February 22, 1980).
- Application 1910.212(a)(1) to Sewing Machines in the Light Apparel Manufacturing Industries. STD 01-12-019 [STD 1-12.19], (October 30, 1978).
Letters of Interpretation
- Requirements for guarding points of operation and belts on heavy duty sewing machines. (July 9, 1991).
- Regulations for cotton waste operations. (May 10, 1991).
- Sample numbers and measurement duration for compliance to the cotton dust standard for a weaving operation. (November 3, 1986).
- Tufting of undyed and unwashed cotton not covered in the scope of the revised standard of December 13, 1985. (June 4, 1986).
- The cotton dust standard applies to the elastic fabric industry. (April 16, 1986).
- National Policy on Guarding Roving Frames. (February 13, 1981).