- Safety and Health Topics
- Occupational Epidemiology
Epidemiology has been defined as the study of the distribution and determinants of health related states or events in specified populations, and the application of this study, to the prevention and control of health problems (Last, 1988). Thus, epidemiologists are concerned not only with studying health, disease and death but also with devising means to prevent illness and improve health.
- Beaglehole, R., R. Bonita, and T. Kjellstrom. Basic Epidemiology. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1993.
- Last, J.M. A Dictionary of Epidemiology, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1988.
- Levy, Barry S., et al. Occupational Health: Recognizing and Preventing Work-Related Disease, 5th ed. Beverly Farms, MA: Occupational & Environmental Medicine, 2006.
- Monson, R. R. Occupational Epidemiology. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 1990.
- Hernberg, S. Introduction to Occupational Epidemiology. Chelsea, MI: Lewis Publishing, 1992.
- Case Studies in Occupational Epidemiology. Steenland, K., ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
Environmental epidemiology involves the use of epidemiologic tools to study communities that may be exposed to pollution, hazardous waste, radiation through air, water or food contamination.
- Steenland, K., and D. Savitz. Topics in Environmental Epidemiology. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997.
- Kopfler, F.C., and G.F. Craun. Environmental Epidemiology. Chelsea, MI: Lewis Publishers, 1986.
- Goldsmith, J.R. Environmental Epidemiology. Boca Raton, LA: CRC Press, 1986.
- Leaverton, P.E. Environmental Epidemiology. New York: Praeger, 1982.
- Vital Statistics
- Regulatory Actions for Year 2014. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute of Health, National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, National Toxicology Program (NTP).
- Toxicological Profiles. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). Provides toxicological information in an A-Z index including a Public Health Statement and ToxFAQs, a short information sheet on each hazardous substance.
- NLM Toxicology Tutorials. National Library of Medicine, Environmental Health and Toxicology. Presents a set of 3 tutorials, covering basic principles of toxicology.
- TOXNET. Includes databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, and related areas.
- Survey Design