Medical and First Aid
There are twenty-eight OSHA-approved State Plans, operating state-wide occupational safety and health programs. State Plans are required to have standards and enforcement programs that are at least as effective as OSHA's and may have different or more stringent requirements.
This section highlights OSHA standards, directives (instructions to OSHA staff), and letters of interpretation (official letters of interpretation of the standards) related to medical and first aid.
General Industry (29 CFR 1910)
- 1910.151, Medical services and first aid
- 1910.266, Logging operations [related topic page]
- 1910.269, Electric power generation, transmission, and distribution [related topic page]
- 1910.269(b), Medical services and first aid
- 1910.421, Pre-dive procedures [related topic page]
Shipyard Employment (29 CFR 1915)
- 1915.87, Medical services and first aid
Marine Terminals (29 CFR 1917)
- 1917.26, First aid and lifesaving facilities
Longshoring (29 CFR 1918)
- 1918.97, First aid and lifesaving facilities (see appendix V of this part)
Construction Industry (29 CFR 1926)
- 29 CFR 1910, Subpart T -- Commercial Diving Operations. STD 02-00-151, (June 13, 2011).
- Inspection Procedures for 29 CFR 1910.120 and 1926.65, Paragraph (q): Emergency Response to Hazardous Substance Releases. CPL 02-02-073, (August 27, 2007). Updates enforcement procedures for compliance officers who need to conduct inspections of emergency response operations. It defines additional terms and expands on training requirements for emergency responders and other groups such as skilled support personnel. This OSHA instruction revises CPL 02-02-059, issued April 24, 1998.
- Logging Operations, Inspection Procedures and Interpretive Guidance Including Twelve Previously Stayed Provisions. CPL 02-01-022 [CPL 2-1.22], (September 27, 1996).
- Logging Operations, Inspection Procedures and Interpretive Guidance. CPL 02-01-019 [CPL 2-1.19], (March 17, 1995).
- 29 CFR 1910.151(c), Medical Services and First Aid; 29 CFR 1926.50 and .51, Medical Service and First Aid, and .... STD 01-08-002 [STD 1-8.2], (March 8, 1982).
- American Red Cross Agreement. CPL 02-00-002 [CPL 2.2], (October 30, 1978). Provides information regarding first aid training requirements and courses.
- Search all available directives.
Letters of Interpretation
- Interpretation of the First Aid standard. (December 11, 1996).
- OSHA first aid standard. (March 18, 1996). Discusses frequency of training.
- Clarification of training requirements under 1910.151, (Medical Services and First Aid). (July 24, 1995).
- Medical and First Aid standards. (July 26, 1994). Discusses whether full face shields and access to a water hose can be used as a substitute for a commercially available eye wash facility.
- Clarification on first aid requirements for hazardous waste sites. (April 20, 1993).
- Successful completion of a first aid course demonstrated by means other than a written knowledge test. (September 2, 1992).
- When a lifesaving skiff is to be considered as being "immediately available". (December 6, 1991).
- Standard for medical services and first aid. (July 2, 1991).
- First Aid treatment required within 3 to 4 minutes of injury. (June 13, 1990).
- First Aid Training. (January 27, 1976).
- The following interpretations are applicable to eyewash and body flushing facilities:
- The following interpretations demonstrate the application of the bloodborne pathogens standard to first aid providers:
- Most frequently asked questions concerning the bloodborne pathogens standard. (November 1, 2011).
- Bloodborne pathogens impact on non-health care industries. (December 15, 1992).
- Applicability of Bloodborne Pathogens Standard to emergency responders, decontamination, housekeeping, and good samaritan acts. (December 4, 1992).
- Applicability of bloodborne pathogens standard to first aid providers at electric cooperatives. (October 23, 1992).
- Applicability of bloodborne pathogens standard to first aid providers at drilling operations. (October 22, 1992).
- Bloodborne pathogen standard's applicability to employees of summer camps and conference/retreat centers. (October 1, 1992).
- Bloodborne pathogens standard's relationship to employees trained in first aid around electrical lines. (September 4, 1992).
- Search all available letters of interpretation.