- Safety and Health Topics
- Machine Guarding
The following references aid in recognizing hazards from ineffective machine guarding.
- Machine Guarding. OSHA eTool. Focuses on recognizing and controlling common amputation hazards associated with the operation and use of certain types of machines.
- Machine Guarding: Horizontal Injection Molding Machines - Interactive Safety Tour. Allows user to take a virtual tour of an injection molding machine.
- Amputations. OSHA Fact Sheet, (2002). Provides a general overview of amputations in the workplace.
- Potential Hazards Associated with the Use of Replacement Materials for Machine Guarding (PDF). OSHA Hazard Information Bulletin (HIB). Clarifies that replacement machine guard windows must meet or exceed the manufacturer's original design specifications.
- 29 CFR 1910.217(g) Mechanical Power Press Point of Operation Injury Reports: 8/1994-12/2000. OSHA. Summarizes "point of operation" injuries from mechanical power presses.
- Electrical. OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page.
- ANSI B11 Subcommittees. Provides brief descriptions of the subcommittees and the hazards they are addressing. The American National Standards Institute's (ANSI) B11 committee is responsible for developing machine tool safety standards. Additional information about ANSI standards is available on their website.
- Injuries and Amputations Resulting from Work with Mechanical Power Presses. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Publication No. 87-107 (Current Intelligence Bulletin 49), (March 1987). Describes the hazards of mechanical power presses and provides safety recommendations.
- Machine Safety. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Workplace Safety & Health Topic. Links to several documents that discuss machinery safety for different types of agricultural equipment, and machine guarding in general.
- Hazards of Operating Unguarded Stone Cutters and Splitters in Landscaping and Other Worksites. OSHA Safety and Health Information Bulletin (SHIB), (January 25, 2013).
- Preventing Cuts and Amputations from Food Slicers and Meat Grinders. OSHA Fact Sheet (Publication 3794), (May 2015).