- Safety and Health Topics
- Electrical Contractors Industry
Electrical Contractors Industry
Safety and Health Programs
An effective safety and health program depends on the credibility of management's involvement in the program, inclusion of employees in safety and health decisions, rigorous worksite analysis to identify hazards and potential hazards, including those which could result from a change in worksite conditions or practices, stringent prevention and control measures, and thorough training. It addresses hazards whether or not they are regulated by government standards. The following references characterize and further explain safety and health programs.
- Recommended Practices for Safety and Health Programs. OSHA Publication 3885, (October 2016). OSHA updated the Guidelines for Safety and Health Programs it first released 30 years ago, to reflect changes in the economy, workplaces, and evolving safety and health issues. The Recommended Practices are designed to be used in a wide variety of small and medium-sized business settings and present a step-by-step approach to implementing a safety and health program, built around seven core elements that make up a successful program.
- Job Hazard Analysis (PDF). OSHA Publication 3071, (Revised 2002). Explains what a job hazard analysis is and offers guidelines to help employers conduct their own step-by-step analysis.
- $afety Pays Program. OSHA. Assists employers in estimating the costs of occupational injuries and illnesses and the impact on a company's profitability.
- Safety and Health Management Program Guidelines; Issuance of Voluntary Guidelines. OSHA Federal Register Notice 54:3904-3916, (January 26, 1989). These safety and health program management guidelines are for use by employers to prevent occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Elements of an Effective Safety and Health Program. OSHA Slide Presentation. Summarizes safety and health program guidelines.
- Business Case for Safety and Health. OSHA Safety and Health Topics Page. Provides information on how an effective safety and health program can improve an organization's productivity and profitability.