- Publication Date:
- Publication Type:Final Rule
- Fed Register #:61:29957-29958
- Title:Personal Protective Equipment for Shipyard Employment (PPE)
DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
29 CFR Part 1915
[Docket No. S-045]
RIN 1218-AA74 (AB06)
Personal Protective Equipment for Shipyard Employment (PPE)
AGENCY: Occupational Safety and Health Administration, Department of Labor.
ACTION: Final Rule; corrections.
SUMMARY: This document makes corrections to the final rule on Personal Protective Equipment for Shipyard Employment, which was published in the Federal Register on May 24, 1996 at 61 FR 26322.
EFFECTIVE DATE: Section 1915.152(b) will not become effective until an Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number is received and displayed for this "collection of information" in accordance with the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (44 U.S.C. 3501 et seq.).
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Ms. ANNE C. CYR, Acting Director, Office of Information, Division of Consumer Affairs, Room N-3647, Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Ave., N.W., Washington, D.C. 20210; Telephone (202) 219-8151.
SUPPLEMENTARY INFORMATION: This document contains corrections to the final rule for Personal Protective Equipment for Shipyard Employment, which was published on May 24, 1996 (61 FR 26322). As published, the final rule contained an error in the placement of Note 1 to 1915.152(b) in the regulatory text of the final rule.
Authority: This document was prepared under the direction of Joseph A. Dear, Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health, U.S. Department of Labor, 200 Constitution Avenue, NW., Washington, D.C. 20210.
Signed at Washington, DC this 10th day of June, 1996.
Joseph A. Dear,
Assistant Secretary of Labor.
Accordingly, the publication on May 24, 1996 of Personal Protective Equipment for Shipyard Employment (61 FR 26322) is hereby corrected as set forth below.
1. On page 26352, in the third column, paragraph (b) is corrected to read:
* * * * *
(b) Hazard assessment and equipment. The employer shall assess its work activity to determine whether there are hazards present, or likely to be present, which necessitate the employee's use of PPE. If such hazards are present, or likely to be present, the employer shall:
(1) Select the type of PPE that will protect the affected employee from the hazards identified in the occupational hazard assessment;
(2) Communicate selection decisions to affected employees;
(3) Select PPE that properly fits each affected employee; and
(4) Verify that the required occupational hazard assessment has been performed through a document that contains the following information:occupation, the date(s) of the hazard assessment, and the name of the person performing the hazard assessment.
Note 1 to paragraph (b): A hazard assessment conducted according to the trade or occupation of affected employees will be considered to comply with paragraph (b) of this section, if the assessment addresses any PPE-related hazards to which employees are exposed in the course of their work activities.
Note 2 to paragraph (b): Non-mandatory Appendix A to this subpart contains examples of procedures that will comply with the requirement for an occupational hazard assessment.
* * * * *
[FR Doc. 96-15052 Filed 6-12-96; 8:45 am]