- Record Type:OSHA Instruction
- Current Directive Number:STD 01-12-001
- Old Directive Number:STD 1-12.1
- Title:Defining Acceptable Guarding of Fan Blades
- Information Date:
- Standard Number:
OSHA Instruction STD 1-12.1 October 30, 1978
March 24, 1972
OSHA PROGRAM DIRECTIVE #100-5
To: National and Field Offices
Subject: Defining Acceptable Guarding of Fan Blades
1. Purpose. To clarify the applicability of 1910.212(a)(5) and to direct answers to inquiries.
2. Background. This paragraph establishes the guarding requirements for fans within 7 feet of floor or working level. Numerous requests for clarification have been received, principally from employers using floor fans.
3. Interpretation. The subject paragraph means that all fans within 7 feet of the floor or working level must be guarded. The guard must not have openings greater than one-half inch in width. The use of concentric rings with spacing between them not exceeding a one-half inch are acceptable provided that sufficient radial spokes and firm mountings are used to make the guard rigid enough to prevent it from being pushed into the fan blade during normal use. The use of nylon mesh or similar materials with holes not exceeding one-half inch, to modify a substandard guard on an existing fan is acceptable, provided the combination of the two provides adequate protection so that the mesh cannot be pushed into the fan blade during normal use.
4. Effective Date. This instruction is effective immediately, and will remain in effect until canceled or superseded.
Director, of Program Operations
DISTRIBUTION Field National Office Regional Administrators (3) A/Sec (3) ARA Technical (2) Dep. A/Sec (2) ARA Compliance (2) Spec. Assts (1) ARA State (1) Directors (3) Area/District Offices (3) SOL (1) Training Institute (4) BLS (1) Professional Staff (1) Review Commission (6) Designated State Agencies (1) HEW (1) HEW Regional Program Directors (1 Program Operations SOL Regional Attorney (1) OCC Professional Review Commission Regional Office OCS Professional Staff (30) OCS Tech. Centers (1)