- Record Type:OSHA Instruction
- Current Directive Number:STD 01-01-008
- Old Directive Number:STD 1-1.8
- Title:29 CFR 1910.23(c), Metal Pouring Platforms -- Protection of Open- sided Floors, Platforms and Runways
- Information Date:
- Standard Number:
JAN 31 1978 OSHA PROGRAM DIRECTIVE #100-97 OSHA Instruction October 30, 1978 STD 1-1.8 TO: REGIONAL ADMINISTRATORS/OSHA
THRU: DONALD E. MACKENZIE Field Coordinator
Subject: 29 CFR 1910.23(c), Metal Pouring Platforms--Protection of Open-sided Floors, Platforms and Runways
- The purpose of this directive is to advise field personnel that 29 CFR 1910.23(c) should not be applied to metal pouring platforms in hot metal pouring operations, except upon consultation with the Office of Compliance Programming.
2. Documentation Affected
- This directive supersedes Field Information Memorandum #76-27 dated October 26, 1976.
- a. The provisions of 29 CFR 1910.23(c) requiring railing and toeboards on the open sides of platforms or runways shall not apply to open sides of hot metal poking platforms (teeming platforms) or runways in areas where work is performed in preparation for, during, or in the completion of hot metal pouring operations.
- b. We are presently revising the standard to exclude this operation from 29 CFR 1910.23, and to provide a stand for feasible protection. The nonenforcement policy shall continue during the pendency for rulemaking proceeding.
- c. An extension of time was granted the rulemaking process on standards relating to Walking-Working Surfaces by a Notice appearing in the Federal Register on June 22, 1976.
OSHA Instruction October 30, 1978 STD 1-1.8
- 4. Action
- 29 CFR 1910.23(c) shall be considered de minimis relative to metal pouring platforms in hot metal pouring operations except upon consultation with the Office of Compliance Programming.
- 5. Effective Date
- This directive is effective immediately and will remain in effect until canceled or superseded by either a later directive or cage in the standards.
- Richard P. Wilson Deputy Director, Federal Compliance and State Programs
- A-1 E-1 B-2 HEW-1 C-1 NIOSH Regional Directors-1 D-4&5 NACOSH-1 Training Institute-4
- (Originator: OCCS)