- Construction Industry
- Communication Towers
- NEW Communication Tower Best Practices [PDF] - OSHA/FCC Joint Publication. A guide to establish accepted practices for performing communication towers work safely.(June 2017).
- National Safety Stand-Down To Prevent Falls in Construction webpage
- US Labor Department and Federal Communications Commission announce working group to prevent fatalities in telecommunications industry. OSHA News Release, (October 14, 2014).
- OSHA issues new directive to keep communication tower workers safe. OSHA News Release, (July 24, 2014).
- Inspection Procedures for Accessing Communication Towers by Hoist. OSHA Directive CPL 02-01-056, (July 17, 2014).
- No more falling workers. OSHA focuses on protecting cell tower employees after increase in worksite fatalities. OSHA News Release, (February 11, 2014).
- OSHA letter to communication tower industry employers. (February 10, 2014).
- Protecting the Safety and Health of Communication Tower Workers (PDF). Letter to Regional Administrators, (November 8, 2013).
Construction Industry (29 CFR 1926)
- 1926 Subpart M - Fall protection [related topic page]
- 1926 Subpart E - Personal Protective and Life Saving Equipment [related topic page]
General Industry (29 CFR 1910)
- 1910 Subpart R - Special Industries
- 1910 Subpart I - Personal Protective Equipment [related topic page]
- Communication Tower Safety: Request for Information. (April 15, 2015).
Industry Consensus Standards
- ANSI/ASSE A10.48-2016 Criteria for Safety Practices with the Construction, Demolition, Modification and Maintenance of Communication Structures.
- This standard establishes minimum criteria for safe work practices and training for personnel performing work on communication structures including antenna and antenna supporting structures, broad-cast and other similar structures supporting communication related equipment. ASSE Tech Brief (October 2016). More details and Table of Contents.
- ANSI/TIA-322 (August 2016), Loading Criteria, Analysis, and Design Related to the Installation, Alteration and Maintenance of Communication Structures. Revises and redacts TIA's original 1019-A standard which was first published in 2012.
- TIA-222-G (August 2016) Structural Standard for Antenna Supporting Structures and Antennas (August 2016)
- Abstract and Product details at the TIA Standards Store
- Communication Tower Safety: Request for Information. Federal Registers, (April 15, 2015).
- OSHA seeks comment on better protections for communication tower workers. OSHA News Release, (April 14, 2015).
Communication Tower Best Practices [PDF]