Region 6 - Alliance Renewal Agreement - August 5, 2020
ARRANGEMENT ESTABLISHING AN ALLIANCE BETWEEN
THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR’S OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION
EL PASO AREA OFFICE AND
THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF MEXICO IN EL PASO, TEXAS
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) El Paso Area Office and the Consulate General of Mexico in El Paso, Texas, (the Consulate) hereinafter referred to collectively as “the Participants”;
RECOGNIZING the joint commitment to protect workers’ rights for Mexican workers in the United States, and
RECOGNIZING that OSHA’s Alliance Program provides for the establishment of cooperative relationships for purposes such as training and education, outreach and communication, and promoting a national dialogue on workplace safety and health;
Intend to form an Alliance to achieve the following:
The Participants intend to establish a collaborative relationship to provide Mexican Nationals and others, in Texas (El Paso and Hudspeth Counties), information, guidance, and access to education and training resources to promote workers’ rights in protecting their occupational safety and health, and to help them understand U.S. domestic law on the rights of workers and the responsibilities of employers under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSH Act).
Training and Education
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following training and education goals:
- To develop training and education programs for Mexican workers and Mexican employers in Texas (El Paso and Hudspeth Counties), regarding workplace safety and health.
- To develop training and education programs for Mexican workers and Mexican employers in Texas (El Paso and Hudspeth Counties), to promote understanding of workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers under the OSH Act, including the use of the OSHA complaint process.
Outreach and Communication
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following outreach and communication goals:
- To develop information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to develop ways of communicating such information (e.g., print and electronic media, electronic assistance tools, and links to OSHA’s Web site from the Consulate’s Web site) to Mexican Nationals working in Texas (El Paso and Hudspeth Counties), and their employers.
- To speak, exhibit, or appear at the Participants’ conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- To participate in “Mobile Consulate” activities and events.
Promotion of a National Dialogue
The Participants intend to work together to achieve the following goals related to promoting a joint dialogue on workplace safety and health:
- To raise awareness of and demonstrate commitment to workplace safety and health and worker’s rights under the OSH Act whenever leaders from the Participants address groups.
- To convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, or stakeholder meetings on issues affecting Mexican Nationals working in Texas (El Paso and Hudspeth Counties), to help forge innovative solutions on issues concerning workplace safety and health and understanding of workers’ rights and responsibilities of employers under the OSH Act.
An implementation team made up of representatives of each Participant intends to meet to develop a plan of action, determine working procedures, and identify the roles and responsibilities of the Participants. In addition, the Participants intend to meet at least three times per year to track and share information on activities and results in achieving the goals of the Alliance.
Nothing in this Arrangement commits the Participants to the expenditure of any funds.
This Arrangement may commence upon signature by both Participants. This Arrangement may continue for two (2) years from the date of signing. A Participant should endeavor to provide thirty (30) days advanced written notice of its intent to discontinue the Arrangement. This Arrangement may be modified in writing at any time by mutual consent of the Participants.
Signed at El Paso, Texas, in duplicate, this 5 day of August, 2020, in the English and Spanish languages.
FOR THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR’S, OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION EL PASO AREA OFFICE:
Diego Alvarado Jr.
El Paso Area Office
FOR THE CONSULATE GENERAL OF MEXICO IN EL PASO, TEXAS:
Mauricio Ibarra Ponce de León